Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 19, 2015   #16
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Some of these have such growth that the stalks that have bulbils have such vigorous bulbils that the bulbils have stalks containing even more bulbils! And a few last year had bulbils on bulbils on bulbils!
I wondered whether the extraordinary property you referenced might be multiple tiers of bulbils. Were they by any chance catawissa you got from someone who offered them here a few years ago? I have gotten three tiers from those, sometimes, too. And I get the impression they might do even more if I could make them happy enough.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #17
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I wondered whether the extraordinary property you referenced might be multiple tiers of bulbils. Were they by any chance catawissa you got from someone who offered them here a few years ago? I have gotten three tiers from those, sometimes, too. And I get the impression they might do even more if I could make them happy enough.
I have both catawissa and standard egyptian walkers. The problem is I forget which is which!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #18
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I have both catawissa and standard egyptian walkers. The problem is I forget which is which!
I thought that perhaps if you'd gotten some of the catawissa that a person here distributed they might be your "steroid" runners, as mine from that source behave as you described, with multiple tiers of bulbils and plants notable taller and more generally bulky -- thicker as well as taller, than the walking onions I had from another source.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2015   #19
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLJ_ View Post
I thought that perhaps if you'd gotten some of the catawissa that a person here distributed they might be your "steroid" runners, as mine from that source behave as you described, with multiple tiers of bulbils and plants notable taller and more generally bulky -- thicker as well as taller, than the walking onions I had from another source.
It's true I got the catawissa from someone here and the egyptian walkers from a seed company out of Washington state. The problem is I can't remember who. I do remember that when I tried to buy catawissa bulbils online absolutely everyone was sold out nationwide, that's why I had to settle for the normal Egyptian walkers. Then someone here came to the rescue. So I have both now. They are very similar actually, although the Catawissa's seem to be on steroids!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; April 20, 2015 at 06:41 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote