Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old January 16, 2008   #31
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

Well, my son and grandson came over this afternoon and we drilled 50 holes with a #45 drill bit and it worked like a charm. It took 15 minutes to fill the barrel with a hose and it took gravity 40 minutes to drain the barrel. The streams were about 12 inches high the first 2/3 rds of the run then slowed down till nothing left in the barrel. We connected two barrels together with a y on one barrel to run to the pvc. We are going to run a 1/4 in line from the faucet to a water cooler float shut off valve that we will mount on the top of the first barrel so we don't have to stand and fill the barrel each time with a hose. Thanks again guys, I would of had a mess on my hands if I had used the larger size holes, but it seems to be working great. 8)
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2008   #32
bryanccfshr
Tomatovillian™

Sounds great. The float and auto refill feature sounds handy. Was the watering fairly consistant?
Old January 17, 2008   #33
tuk50
Tomatovillian™

My soil is a bit dry and all the puddles seemed to be about equal. At the beginning it took about 3 or 4 minutes for all the air to come out and you could see each hole start emitting a stronger stream as the water moved down each row. It really surprised me and seems to be working great. I'm going to start drilling a few more holes each watering till I find out if I can have 100 which will be one on each side of each plant. 8)
tuk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2008   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
Isn't it true that "55 gallon drum" is a generic name, actually it is 45 gallons?

dcarch

dcarch
On the open oil market a barrel of oil is 42 gallons as far a drums go there is a 55 gallon barrel and other sized barrels too. So yes you can get a 55 gallon drum I have seen it stamped right on the barrel.
I have had friends that work in barrel factories, talk about some exciting after work talk.

Tuk50 I am glad we could help.
You are more than welcome.8)

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote