Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old April 27, 2009   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default How are your strawberries doing?

Anyone picking strawberries yet? What variety do you grow?

My Earliglow's have berries the size of a fingertip. It'll be a few weeks yet before they ripen up. My second variety (old family variety) is about a week behind.

Blossom set was excellent this year. Last year I was able to freeze quite a few. I mash them up with a tiny bit of sugar and put them in plastic freezer tubs in the freezer. I think strawberries freeze better than just about any other fruit.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2009   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

woo! jealous. Weve got scads of mock/wild strawberries, and 1-2 actual plants. I got one berry last year. havent even flowered yet this year.

good luck with them (my fiance is allergic, so I am not too driven to grow them myself)
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009   #3
karpes
Tomatovillian™

Ruth
I haven’t grown strawberries in a long time but it’s at the top of my to do list. You grow them in the ground or containers?
karpes
karpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2009   #4
lefty_logan
Tomatovillian™

i have about 6 strawberries on a single sequoia strawberry plant in a container

Logan
lefty_logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2009   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpes View Post
Ruth
I haven’t grown strawberries in a long time but it’s at the top of my to do list. You grow them in the ground or containers?
karpes

I grow them in the ground. They're in a strip of garden that's about seven feet wide. Mostly the plants just cover the section of the bed they're in, but I force myself to make a narrow bare strip down the middle. I have several 3x8' cages I put over the plants once they start to ripen. If I don't cover them, the birds will eat them ALL.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Old May 12, 2009   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

I picked the first quart of Earliglow strawberries yesterday and picked another tonight. I would have waited until tomorrow night to pick again, but rain and thunderstorms are supposed to be coming through in the next 24 hours.

Old May 13, 2009   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

mine should be doing a lot better now that i finally got them planted. i got 25 cabot and 25 jewel from jungs may 5th. the ground was too wet to plant. long time farmers here say this has been the wettest spring in years. i ripped out some sod, put in several wheel barrows of topsoil mix with compost, and horse manure to create a raised bed, and finished planting them just before it started to rain. my wife planted half of them a different way. we will compare results.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009   #8
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I bought two bags of dormant "roots" from Lowes, and about half of them sprouted, and those are stunted. I finally got them big enough to get in the ground and they are starting to do Ok. They went in an out-of-the-way location. Then I bought a flat of 18 established plants, but could not get them in the newly dug strawberry garden because of rain and clay clods, so they sat around and fruited. I ended up planting them in another area. Next year I should have alot of strawberries, but none in my shiney new strawberry garden.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

As usual we grow several West European varieties of small fruited Alpine strawberries like Baron von Solemacher, White Solemacher, Regina, Alexandria and Ali Baba plus some Russian varieties like Belosnezhka (I listed it in SSE 2009 Yearbook).
But we pay much more attention to large fruited strawberries strawberries mainly of Russian and Dutch origin and grow at least 10 times more of them than Alpine varieites.
Usually strawberries are very fruitful within 3-4 years. Then you should take them away.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #10
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Andrey,
How is the flavor on those large fruited varieties. While trying to decide on what to buy here I ran into the problem that these things are being bred in America for size, color, resistance, and shipping (sound familiar?). You know you are in trouble when the advertizement says "very popular variety...best seller... large, dark red fruits... acidic flavor (or mild flavor)."
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2009   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Never had such problems with flavor on large fruited strawberries here. Try Senga Sengana if this variety is available in USA. This is a German masterpiece and a standard for a great flavor and production proved during the last 50 years so far.

But of course there is a certain difference in flavor and aroma between these Alpine strawberries we started from seed packets and those small fruited strawberries we can pick up in the forest near our dacha. Real wild strawberries are the best but their production is much lower from one plant, of course.

More info about well-known European strawberry varieties: http://www.nal.usda.gov/pgdic/Strawb...ok/boksevt.htm

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 1, 2012 at 04:39 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009   #12
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

My patch of Earliglow strawberries is going strong now. I'm picking every day or every other day. We're getting enough to eat our fill and have enough left over to chop into a rough sauce with some added sugar and freeze. I find the quality of the frozen sauce excellent--frozen strawberries seem to retain their flavor and color very well, but I wouldn't care to try to freeze the strawberries whole. The texture just wouldn't be appealing to me.

I don't remove my plants after several years and start a fresh bed, but I do let it "creep" along the strip of tilled garden bed it's in. I also do a severe clipping of the plants just as soon as fruiting is done and thin out a few plants here and there.