Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 26, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Hornworms and Peppers

Hi All,

Is it normal to find hornworms on peppers? I found one on my Fish plant. The pictures that are online don't do it's size justice...They are a lot bigger than I had anticipated. I pulled it off with the intention of relocating it. I got so freaked out by it's ability to wiggle, that I tossed it up in the air. I am pretty sure that it landed in my neighbor's grapes that fall over my fence.

I also found one on my Aunt Ruby's Green Cherry. Nobody told me that they have green blood. I really wasn't emotionally prepared for that. This sucker got chopped in half with some shears.

Don't think this too strange. But in a bizzare way I am flattered that the hornworms like my garden enough make their way here. I have been growing tomatoes for about 3 years and today was the first time I have seen a hornworm. I think that it's ironic that my first hornworm sighting was on a pepper.

Anyhow, again, is it normal to have hornworms on peppers?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2006   #2
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Angelique, i know it probly dont make one feel happy, initially...but be Happy, for the fact that growin stuff is gettin your Eyes trained...an mind attuned...in other words, if i had never seen a Hornworm, i'd be glad to finally see one...)))

There is fine poster, we may get to hear from , one day, here...that actually desires people to not kill their hornworms, but send them to his/her address, because they are an expert on the many sub-species and truly can offer us great insight as to the Beauty of the moth it finally grows into being.

As far as yo question goes...if you got a hornworm on yo Fish pepper....God Help him/her...))) Either yo tomatos are dead, or thats one Mighty Hungry hornworm...)))

Seriously, consider your initial sighting to be Quite rare...Unique...because pepper plants have a waxy leave and fruit coating that deters most insect predation. Hornworms have been known to predate pepper plants, however, and it makes sense...since peppers an Tomatos are close related species.

in 30 years of gardenin, i've never seen a hornworm get on a pepper plant. I guess i have to chalk that up to the fact that the hornworms always had a Better choice...Tomatos...))) They'll get on a tomato, an remember...the ol Adage ?..."The Best Fertilizer...is a Gardener's Footsteps"...)))

Somethin tells me..if you found one on a pepper plant...odds are...you got a few more...that you need to look for...in yo tomatoes...)))

if you find one with white dots on it...leave it alone. Those dots are the eggs, of a very beneficial parasitic wasp, an that particular hornworm's day's are Numbered...)))

here is a link, that you might find of interest, Angelique...Best Wishes...)))

http://www.vegedge.umn.edu/vegpest/hornworm.htm
Old June 27, 2006   #3
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Nobody told me that they have green blood.
Angelique,

If you put a hornworm in a container with only a red tomato or red pepper to eat, the 'blood' will turn red.

Occasionally I've found them on pepper plants too.

Fascinating creatures. I kept one as a pet for about a year.

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2006   #4
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Gimme3,

Thanks for the wonderful advice. Since my original post, I have found six hornworms. Now it's getting old. One of them was either dead or about to cocoon. It fell right off my tomato plant. I have twenty-two tomato plants. Strange, the critter went after Fish.

This year, I have noticed a lot more bugs in my yard. Could it be because I added 3 fruit trees to my yard (cherry, apple and lemon). Dang, those bees really love my lemon tree (and squash).

Hi Love2Troll,

Thanks for the info. I won't be trying that experiment any time soon.
Old June 27, 2006   #5
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Angelique....yeah it Could be, due to yo new installments. an if it is...Thats Wonderful....)))but i kinda think...you...are noticing, payin far more attention,...an That is gonna Pay Off,...in a Good way, not only to you an yo Family, but the Family of Life, visitin yo yard....thru Time...)))

Mighty Best wishes...))) Wished i could grow a Lemon Tree...)))
Old June 27, 2006   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Oh, believe me, hornworms will go to pepper plants! Last year I had a plant on my deck loaded with red hot peppers. Went out and noticed part of the plant was disappearing - and found red pellets on the deck surface - yes, bright red hornworm poop - found the fella and did away with him! I hope that they were painful poops for him or her!!! I am expecting hornworms to show up soon - with all of our rain, humidity and heat, there is a full multifacted assault on my plants (disease and critters) !!!
Old June 27, 2006   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig-My wife and I eat a lot of chile, and your statement: " I hope that they were painful poops for him or her!" absolutely just cracked us up! I have this picture of some poor hornworm getting his butt kicked from too much chile (in Spanish, someone would say after getting too much chile: "Me chile!") Red hornworm poop-just too much! What a painful way for a hornworm to go. (I am not saying he/she didnt deserve the pain-I hate hornworms)
Old June 29, 2006   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc
(in Spanish, someone would say after getting too much chile: "Me chile!")
Too funny. That reminds me of X-mas growing up eating spicy green chile tamales (super steaming hot) topped with super cold pico de gallo, Tapatio (a bottled hot sauce) and another chile de arbol salsa. Later in the day, we would eat spicy menudo with an extra 1/2+ teaspoon of ground chile de arbol...Ironically, this is the only time of year we ate like this. Since, I am a 3rd generation 1/2er, I was raised eating baked chicken and mashers, pizza, rosemary chicken, pot roast, bleu cheese and egg salad, etc. However, once a year my grandmother would cook up a storm of Mex (SPICY) food. I absolutely love it, but my stomach doesn't.
Old June 29, 2006   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

Here is a picture of a type of hornworm that only eats this type of vine, which I have here on the place, it is kin to the grape and I have nurtured the things, and I hope the worms come to my new place to have a home.
It’s a native plant here in this part of Texas and is considered rare by some folks, and most folks think that it is poison ivy, and kill it. To bad, it makes a good ground cover and is a great replacement vine for some of the types that require more water.
Its called Cissus Trifoliata. Well any way here it is with its buddy.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2006   #10
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Yes, absolutely! I have seen hornworms on pepper plants. The last one I saw (last year) was munching away, but I had plenty of peppers of that variety and it had parisitic wasps so I just let him be knowing that he would die a slow painful death soon.

I was going to collect one of the buggers for the hornworm guy last year, but I went into the house to get a container and when I came back a bird had gotten to it first. A little bit of green goop was all that was left. Oh well.

Can you tell that I don't have a fondness for hornworms?

BTW, I don't know why they sometimes go to pepper plants.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote