Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 1, 2009   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeping birds away from blackberries

I have a great blackberry plant however when the berries are about to ripen, the birds pick them dry leaving nothing for us. Any suggestions for warding off birds?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I use bird netting. My plant is a relatively tame thornless variety, and this year I installed a bigger trellis, so I have some hope of covering at least part of it, even though some berries try to grow outside the net. My netting was not quite large enough to reach over the trellis and back down to the ground, so the other day I saw a wren or junco perching on the net, I thought, until I got closer and saw the bird was inside the netting. As I got closer, the bird swooped down and escaped from the netting. Still, I'm picking a lot every day and haven't seen bird damage, so maybe other birds haven't figured this out.

added: this sounded familiar, so I searched and found I was the only person to respond to your last post, too (it's under misc. vegs.)! Is no one else growing blackberries?

Last edited by habitat_gardener; July 1, 2009 at 05:46 PM. Reason: hmm, this sounds familiar
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009   #3
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

where would I buy bird netting?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009   #4
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

farm supply stores like agway, blue seal or tractor supply company (all in my area). i imagine any good nursery/garden center also would carry it. they come in different sizes and are not verry expensive.

you may need to build a cage to hang it on. finches were pecking the crap out of every broccoli head and side shoot back about 3 years ago. when i found out what was causing the damage i built a frame from pvc pipe and hang the netting on it. now i can eat broccoli again.

for bushes this may not be necessary. if you lay the netting on the bushes the birds will eat all the fruits they can reach thru the netting mesh but then the rest are safe. for broccoli this just would not work as they be able to peck 90% of it.

a pvc cage is cheap, use 3/4" (no need to glue it as the ability to disassemble helps in storage) with some tees and elbows. my 10' X 10' X 5' tall cage cost about $15.

editted to add - yes birds will get under it so you have to have it drape to the ground then place boards or water filled milk jugs on the netting to close them out at the ground level.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Yes, all the nurseries sell bird netting. If you still have flowers when the fruit start ripening, the bird netting lets the bees get through. I've also used netting and tulle from fabric stores, old lacy tablecloths, etc. -- anything that lets light through.

re pvc cages, I saw a cage someone built over a 10-ft. lemon tree, echoing the shape of the tree, to drape frost-protection fabric over. He used boiling water to bend the pvc pipe, and it looked very sculptural.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2009   #6
David52
Tomatovillian™

I've had real good luck this spring on our cherry trees using flash tape. I do use the netting, but for some reason, I have a terrible time with tangles.

I think there must be some single or twice use really cheap stuff out there, where one could just tear off a few yards. Like a gill net.
Old July 3, 2009   #7
gardenpaws_VA
Tomatovillian™

I have both blackberries and black raspberries, but they fruit generously enough that I don't try to net them. However, I'm just about to net the blueberries, and after that, it will be time to transfer the net to the figs. That's the real challenge, since there's no way I can get it over and around the entire bush/tree which is against the house. Fortunately, it seems that the netting makes enough of the fruit awkward for the catbird to get to, that I get more figs than I can eat solo.

David52, my netting tangles, also, but patience when removing and cleaning it will give you success. If you don't have to worry about letting bees through, however, the sheer curtain fabric is much easier to use!
gardenpaws_VA is offline   Reply With Quote