Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 19, 2013   #31
riceke
Tomatovillian™

Default Softnecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
ken some of the longest storing garlic are softnecks due to the extremely tight clove and bulb wrappers but not all softnecks store a long time.

artichokes have larger cloves and less of them but silverskins are brutal to peel having a few "larger" cloves and dozens of tiny cloves.

tom
I planted both Chinese Early Pink and Italian Pink both supposedly softnecks. Both store fairly well but as I mentioned before they are hard o peel and while they do produce a few large cloves they have a bunch of small ones. It'possible I'm pulling them too early around June 1st. I'm going to let a few stay in the ground all summer to see what happens.
Old July 29, 2013   #32
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic Dried

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FQQRE 29 July 2013 Garlic Dried
Garlic has been in partial shade for about two weeks and is quite dry and the vegetation has all turned brown, which was cut off. the cloves will be further dried and then the root hairs will be cut close and the garlic stored in a well ventilated cold room. It will last for about eight months. The ten plants allowed to produce seed are still in the ground.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2013   #33
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic seed

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FWSTG 6 August 2013 Garlic Seed Collected
The garlic allowed to produce seed was mature. The seed dropped when disturbed so was ripe. The seed pods were shaken above a pail for collection. There are great number of seeds in one pod.
Method of utilizing.
Plant about two inches deep in October.Harvest the one clove produced in July of the following year. Dry and plant in October. The next year will produce three cloves of normal size. Dry and plant each clove, which will produce a normal bulb just like the original. Advantage of this method is cloves of the current crop need not be used for seed, and the grown seeds are disease free.
Old August 9, 2013   #34
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Nice garlic! Cute picture of your little helper peeking through the garlic!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #35
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Durgan- when you say you've been collecting garlic seeds are you meaning the bulbils and not seed as in produced from flower pollination?

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #36
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Bilbils. Garlic, of course, does not produce new plants, only clones.
Old August 25, 2013   #37
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Here's a photo of pollinated garlic seeds (Allium sativum) that I grew in my garden last year. I am growing more this year, because I really really don't like growing clones.

It's hard to correct an entire civilization that has believed for thousands of years that garlic is sterile and that bulbils are seeds. I normally don't even try. For the past 6 months I have purposefully avoided commenting on this thread.

Durgan: Your guides seem so authoritative, but their credibility is seriously compromised because the language is antiquated in regards to the definition of a "garlic seed". Your guides would carry more weight if they used more accurate descriptions. Bulbils are not seeds.

Another photo is at: Going to Seed

Here's some background reading on current amateur and professional research into the production of true garlic seeds:

Last edited by joseph; August 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #38
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.gourmetgarlicgardens.com/overview.htm

A Garlic Overview

Garlic, the sweet breath of life!
Old August 25, 2013   #39
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

After the woof woof is removed. Let us see the pictures of a new garlic. I would very much like to see say a larger bulb. I produce a most hot, beautiful hard neck bulb of 5 to 8 cloves and pristine white usually. This is produced from the bulbils (those little bulbs at the top of the scape after three years),or from the cloves. Perfect clones only.

I am not a fan of garlic and usually do not eat food that garlic enhances, but do grow it, since it takes such little effort.
Old August 25, 2013   #40
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Reminds me of myself. I almost never eat wheat, nor anything made from it, but I sure grow a lot of it... What am I going to do? Stop growing the family heirloom wheat that was developed by my great-great grandfather?

Perhaps you would like Ivan's garlic. They were grown from pollinated seeds. "Selection 16a" forms 4 ounce bulbs with only 2 cloves, so that makes the cloves 2 ounces each!!! His "Selection 31" produces bulbs that are over 5 ounces.

Last edited by joseph; August 25, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old August 25, 2013   #41
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Clearly the bulbs are past the harvest stage for long term storage. The cloves have started to split from the main bulb, which makes for poor storage..

I had fifteen bulbs, which I allowed to produce bulbils and I gave the bulbs to my neighbours for current use after removing the bulbils two days ago. I did not take pictures, but they looked similar to the pictures above. If allowed to mature my garlic produces full cloves proving what, I don't know.
Old August 25, 2013   #42
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Clearly the bulbs are past the harvest stage for long term storage.
Makes a better marketing photo if the buyer can see what the inside of the bulbs look like.

That's how I harvest my hardnecked garlic as well: Allowing the pollinated seeds to (potentially) mature on a live stalk is more important to me than storing garlic bulbs for a long time. My seed producing hardnecked bulbs go back into the ground within a few weeks of harvest. Those that don't produce seeds get dehydrated, or canned, or sold for immediate use at the farmer's market.

For long term storage as live bulbs I grow plain old California softneck.
Old September 2, 2013   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Here's a photo of pollinated garlic seeds (Allium sativum) that I grew in my garden last year. I am growing more this year, because I really really don't like growing clones.

It's hard to correct an entire civilization that has believed for thousands of years that garlic is sterile and that bulbils are seeds. I normally don't even try. For the past 6 months I have purposefully avoided commenting on this thread.

Durgan: Your guides seem so authoritative, but their credibility is seriously compromised because the language is antiquated in regards to the definition of a "garlic seed". Your guides would carry more weight if they used more accurate descriptions. Bulbils are not seeds.

Another photo is at: Going to Seed

Here's some background reading on current amateur and professional research into the production of true garlic seeds:
This is really fascinating, Joseph. Thanks for all the links.

My friend gave me an armload of scapes last summer from a Music strain another friend has been growing for decades, selecting for larger and fewer bulbs. A couple of the scapes started to flower, and I left them in the vegetable bin without any water or attention and got a nice bunch of bulbils which I planted last fall.
I hate to say it, but, there were a couple of seeds in the bin which I threw away, having no idea there was such a thing as true garlic seed. I thought they must be mouse sh**. Although I do not have mice. I had never even heard of bulbils before I saw them on the scapes - I have never grown garlic before because I didn't have "seed" so I was just thrilled to discover that the bulbils could be planted.

I got some nice size rounds from my largest bulbils, which I'll plant this fall, but certain to repeat the experiment with scapes, and I won't make the mistake of discarding true seed again, if I get some.
My garlic growing adventures have just begun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg firstyear-music-frombulbils.JPG (262.6 KB, 16 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2013   #44
joseph
Tomatovillian™

bower: Oh no!!! Thanks for sharing. Finding seeds in scapes that have not been coddled in any way happens from time to time. Creeps me out sometimes when I'm processing chive or onion seeds: Looks too much like something a mouse would leave behind. I hope to have that problem with garlic this fall.

Last edited by joseph; September 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old September 2, 2013   #45
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I was late in harvesting my "Music" hard-necked garlic last month and a lot of the cloves had already split and rotted - sigh!

I still have some cloves left over from last year. They have been stored in the basement which is cool and dry. Does anybody think this will work? They seem to be good (for cooking at least) and have not dried out.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote