Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 30, 2014   #1
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Default My 2014 Pepper Grow List - Germination Problems

Well, after weeks and weeks of checking my peppers daily for germination, I am sad that many just didn't germinate at all. Some were from seed exchanges and didn't have the date on them so could be an age factor, perhaps.

The ones that germinated:

Marconi Red - LOVE this pepper and plan on growing it every year. It is a fairly large plant that gets loaded with large peppers that are sweet and delicious when they turn red.

Fish Pepper - This is one I received after my request for attractive ornamental peppers so I can grow it in my front yard edible/ornamental garden where I get sun. Looking forward to seeing variegated leaves!

Chinese 5 Color - I have grown this several times and love the beautiful small upright pointing peppers that ultimately turn purple. HOT and delicious!

Hot Lemon - I have been wondering if this is the same as Aji Yellow and Lemon Drop. I have read forum posts but no one seems sure. Looks like the same in photos but mine was clearly labeled as Hot Lemon. This produces large quantities of bright yellow somewhat wrinkled peppers about the length and width of my index finger. They have amazing staying power on the plant well after everything else has been pulled. Great dried and ground into powder.

Yellow Peter - Well, the name describes what it looks like. First time growing it.

Zimbabwe Bird - First time growing this. It is supposedly VERY hot!

Mustard Habanero - Grew this in the past and it is making a come back. Don't really remember much about it because it has been a few years.

Fresno - A friend told me once I grew Fresno peppers, I would never plant another Jalapeno. We shall see. Too bad only one germinated.

Ones that DIDN"T Germinate :

Shishi*to - Really sad about this. Will try to find plants locally.
Orange Manzano
Padron - Really sad about this. Will try to find plants locally.
Early Jalapeno
Chilly Chilly
Riot
Aci Sivri
Elephant Ear

All were grown in the same seed flat and received the same heat and watering. I keep checking even though it has been almost 2 months. Some of my peppers are already 3 inches tall and they look great!!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I hear you on the disappointment. Peppers are just much fussier than tomatoes. I also believe that pepper seeds are much easily damaged by the post office than than tomato seed. I've never gotten tomato seed with seed bits in it, but I have gotten pepper seed that way.

Last week I planted 70 varieties of peppers. Between age and damage I'll be happy with 5% germination rates on some of them. With the seasoning peppers if I get one plant out 69 seeds seeds plants consisting of the five varieties I'll consider it a miracle. The little plastic bags they came in were scorched in a fire. I mostly planted them to see if I could get and thing out of them.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I started soaking my pepper seed in salt peter solution of few years ago. I have no idea what the "science" behind it is (if there is any ) but, at least for me, it has greatly improved my pepper seed germination. Just soaking them in water for 24 hours helps a bunch. I had roughly 1300 seedlings and only 30 cups that did not germinate. I also believe, and again, this is just me, that pepper seed likes it a lot warmer germinating than we think. I set all my flats on a "heated mattress pad". The containers have lids on them. I left a thermometer in one to see how hot it got and it was 92 degrees. All but one cup in that flat germinated.

There are lots of variables as you said, age of seed, USPO Trauma, etc. Fresh seed (seeds saved from the months before a new season starts) is a big help although some members here did a "test" of ancient seed (some was 20 years old) and were amazed at the germination they got.

Pepper seeds really are a pain in the derriere to germinate compared to tomatoes.
Old March 30, 2014   #4
sicily
Tomatovillian™

I also starting using salt petre to soak pepper seeds in and it makes a big difference. Peppers are a pain to germinate. I also didn't have any germination from Shi★★★★o and Elephant Ear. I bought the salt petre from Peppergal in Fla. it does really help with germination. I soaked the seeds overnight.
sicily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #5
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to add that I recently read an article that touted using Hydrogen peroxide at a rate of 1 tablespoon to 1 cup water. The article soaked seeds from the same pod in plain water, salt peter solution and the HP solution for 24 hours. Article said the HP soaked seeds germinated faster and more of them germinated that the others in the water and salt peter solution soaks. I think I will give this a try next season and do my own comparison.

There are also those that proclaim that Camomile tea or regular tea also makes an efficient soak (supposedly, it's the tannin in tea..)
Old March 30, 2014   #6
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

What is a " salt peter solution" ??
I also was very disappointed in my pepper germination... and eggplant too! I reseed my eggplant today and held back from doing the same with my peppers because I think its way too late to try again for them.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2014   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Potassium nitrate...you mix 1 tsp in a quart of water. You can buy it on Amazon or, if you just need a little, Pepper Gal sells 1 OZ bags www.peppergal.com

Quote:
Salt Petre, Potassium NitrateSalt Petre, Potassium Nitrate - Add one teaspoon to a quart of water. Then put the water in small glasses or jars (depending on how many varieties of seeds you wish to soak) and leave for 4 to 8 hours. This soaking will speed up the germination of otherwise difficult to germinate seeds. Seeds lying dormant for too long a period will blacken and rot before germinating. Drain and save the solution to use for watering the seeds. Price $1.00
Old March 30, 2014   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. Thanks for the link! Do you think this will work for ALL old seeds? - I'm thinking about squash seeds from 2005 that I'll be trying to germinate soon...
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #9
suvoth
Tomatovillian™

This is my first year growing anything and I started 6 King of the North peppers...all of them germinated in 7 days so I can vouch for those one's lol!
suvoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If I remember correctly Carolyn mentions supplying nitrogen to old tomato seed helps with the germination. In the various blue fertilizers like Miracle Grow it very well could be potassium nitrate. I suspect that any high nitrogen fertilizer will work.

I just planted my pepper seeds in straight compost. Besides it being what I had I'm hoping that it has enough nitrogen in it to help.
Old March 31, 2014   #11
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Will try the hydrogen peroxide and salt peter next year.

I have lots of peppers this year and am fairly happy with my germination results, but a few did not sprout.

I am looking for perfection :-)

For the past few years, I did the bleach soak and for peppers and tomatoes. I didn't notice much improvement for peppers, but had better results for tomatoes. I noticed that this year, my failure in tomato seeds were saved by ME - last season!! Cannot blame the lack of germination on anyone else...
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2014   #12
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

If you empty out a .22 shell and dissolve what you can in water, would that give you a KNO3 solution?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2014   #13
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
If you empty out a .22 shell and dissolve what you can in water, would that give you a KNO3 solution?

I don't believe so.
Old April 3, 2014   #14
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

I will definitely try the salt petre next year.

The good news is that I bought some new Padron seeds from the Sample Seed Shop and started them all in the paper towel method and every single one of them germinated! They are going to get a late start but hopefully take off once I get them in the ground! I LOVE Padrons fried in olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #15
Tania
Tomatovillian™

We start about 5000 pepper seeds every year (different sources and age, some are 6-7 years old), and get about 65-70% germination with no special treatment/pre-soaking etc.

However, the percentage of viable pepper seedlings is much lower, as we lose or cull some. Usually we end up with about 600-800 healthy pepper seedlings.

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote