Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2008   #1
TJS
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting tomato cuttings

I am going to try to take some large cutting from my plants. The cuttings will be about a foot long and quite stocky. My plan is to soak them in liquid kelp until dusk and plant them in the ground. I will provide some shade till I see new growth starting. Does this sound like it will work. Anyone who has any suggestions on this subject please chime in.
Tim
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2008   #2
dice
Tomatovillian™

I always start my cuttings in water, so that I can see whether
roots are growing. Many people, however, have reported
success doing what you describe.

An infusion of green willow shoots (chop them up, put in hot water, and soak for a couple of days) may help them root.
The willow shoots contain high levels of a plant growth
hormone (indole butyric acid).
Old April 22, 2008   #3
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

same here, no real rocket science technology for my technique : cutting, moist soil kept moist and voila, they root, accidently some don't make it but most of the time that was due to a slip of attention from my part not natures part (probably because I don't need them that much, but I gave some of them away to friends and family if all the rest was gone already and they did fine). as with all propagation you don't want them to loose their water too fast so don't put them in full sunlight; it is said that warmth does help rooting...

I think dcarch had a clever method of rooting the succers still on the motherplant, somewhere between the old posts on this forum.
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote