Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 29, 2008   #1
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

Default Trials & Tribulations

Every year I plan to do a thorough job of cleaning the garden in the fall and every year I end up doing it in the spring! After carefully checking the forcast for Detroit Lakes all last week, I arranged to take Monday off work. Three days & I should have everything in tip-top shape. The following prove the truth behind the saying, "The best laid plans of mice & men"

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00008.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

Perhaps in a couple of weeks
Old April 29, 2008   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I'm not that far from you (in the Brrrmidji area) and we had over a foot of snow too. The third blizzard we've been hit with this month! I did do pretty good clean up last fall (for a change) and this "spring" even had time to replace three wooden frames on some older raised beds just two days before this storm hit.
I've got lettuce transplants growing in this snow covered plastic tunnel that went in the ground on the 15th of April (I leave the pvc frame up after my late fall crop so just have to replace the plastic cover in the spring) We had a low of 18F over night yesterday so was a little worried about the lettuce, but it seems to be fine.

I hope all the folks with open ground, not to mention tomatoes IN the ground know how lucky they are! 8)

Dee
P.S. Nice little greenhouse you have there!
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2008   #3
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

And I was whining about the slush we got yesterday!! Better days are coming!
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2008   #4
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

The greenhouse is made by Northern Lights, my father bought it in 93 through Gardeners Supply Co. It's starting to show its age but it sure is nice to have.
My onions arrived this week. WallaWalla & Red Tropea (sp?). They say you can wait up to 2 weeks before planting out. This year will be a true test of the accuracy of that.
Old April 29, 2008   #5
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I am in the Minneapolis area and thank goodness we only got less then an inch. I think the tomatoes going in the ground and the morels popping up are going to be late this year or it will get too hot to quick.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2008   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Is that cannon in your yard?

I have just got to have one.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2008   #7
Tom'sson
Tomatovillian™

That is a cannon in one of the pictures. It's a 1/4 scale Napoleon my Dad bought from Dixie Gunworks years ago. It's a reminder of Dad's many eccentricities & Mom's infinite patience.
The gun takes a 1/2 cup of Pyrodex (more or less ) and will shoot one of the small frozen orange juice cans filled with plaster (Dad used a strong & dense dental plaster) or concrete about a 1/2 mile.It's hard to catch the splash and judge the distance.

Now it's only fired on 4 July and, due to heavy boat traffic, I skip the projectile & go with a lot of newspaper along with some wet sand. It goes off with a very satisfying BANG.

It's remarkable how the boats clear out of our corner of the lake after a few bangs from the canon.
Old April 29, 2008   #8
matereater
Tomatovillian™

That cannon sounds so SWEET !!!! I would love to have one of those!!!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2008   #9
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Here in central MN we got about 6".
It's melted now, the grass is green and the lakes are open. On the bright side, we need the moisture.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote