Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 17, 2015   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default Best root pouch for RGGS systems

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on the brand of root pouch that would work best with an RGGS system. I'll be using the PVC pipe RGGS system if all goes according to plan.

I'd imagine punching a hole in the bottom of the root pouch would effect it's overall useful life, but I'm not sure how sturdy the pouches are since I've never bought them before. After punching a hole in the bottom and using it for a year, how many more uses would I get out of it?

I have a choice between the following 7 gallon root pouches:

Viagrow Breatheable Aeratio Root Pot ($4.50 each)

Boxer Brown Fabric Root Pouch "longest lifespan" ($3.30 each)

3-4 Year Root Pouch ($1.90 each)

If there's anyone out there who has experimented with a few brands I'd love to know what your experiences were. How truly re-usable are the root pouches once you punch a hole in the bottom for the basket? or would the hole eventually stretch after a few months requiring me to get a new bag every year? Or would they fall apart after a year or so?

I don't have a problem spending more on the viagrow or the boxer brown if they last many years longer than the inexpensive 3-4 year pouch. But if in practice they really don't have a longer lifespan I'd probably get more value out of the cheaper root pouches.

Any info would be much appreciated

Thanks!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rggs , root pouch