Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old May 23, 2009   #16
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

To expand on this a little. First I use a chlorine filter, I have 60 feet of hose buried from the house to the garden. (I leave this done year around, I buried it so i can mow without having to move the hose, since it is downhill to the garden the water drains out easily in the fall.

When I get to the garden I have a 4-way manifold with 3 timers on it. The first timer is for the soaker hose in the Asparagus bed, and under my Blackberries. The next 2 timers control the water to east and west ends of the garden. The filter restricts the water flow so I had use to 2 timers set at different times to water the main garden. On the fourth connection I have a "Y" with one 100' hose going to the patch, and the other connection for hand watering one of my raised beds, (I may add a timer to it as well).

At the patch I have a multi-function timer to control both tripods there and an extra connection for hand watering my raised Garlic beds. I have almost all connections on quick disconnects for easy adding and changing hoses. I sometimes add a fertilizer inject or my little syphoner to the system.

When it all works right it is great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watering_8_2.jpg (168.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Watering_4_2.jpg (174.1 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Watering_5_2.jpg (140.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Watering_9_2.jpg (152.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Watering_10_2.jpg (154.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Watering_7_2.jpg (111.3 KB, 25 views)
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #17
igarden
Tomatovillian™

great pics ami! beautiful gardens!

we have struggled with many different types of irrigation for several years now, and finally came across this stuff called T-Tape last year. we have gravity flow and have a 250 gallon tank set up at the top of each garden (we're on lightly sloping hills). then we have a main pipe that feeds from the tank, and then T-tapes that go from the main pipe to each row. there are emitters that drip about 8 to 12 inches apart. so far no problems with this type of setup, and it keeps the soil nice and damp...we also mulch with straw.

Last edited by igarden; May 24, 2009 at 12:36 PM.
igarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #18
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Yes, those pictures are really helpful along with your explanation.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009   #19
Amigatec
Tomatovillian™

I have probably close to $300 invested in this system, but it's the best way I have found to do it. And with all the quick disconnects it makes it easy to add other hoses for applying fertilizers and other things like Fish/Seaweed mixtures.
Amigatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009   #20
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

You can tell that you really "heart" your garden. You even have pictures of it
Sorry, couldn't resist.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote