Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 12, 2008   #1
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Raw Habanero Eaters?

I seen it done on T.V. not to witness the results...

I've cooked with them and did the head down on the table routine only to go back for more. The cooked taste is good, but you know....
I've tried it raw once

Last week at work one of our guys popped one in his mouth and sucked on it like it was a candy....He came back about an hour later and sliced one in half and chewed them both up ! A little red-faced but not the worse for wear, He does speak a little funny though !?!?

-Jimmy
Old February 13, 2008   #2
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

My husband eats them like that too. Sometimes during dinner, he'll slice a couple in half and munch on the pieces, almost like a side dish. He prefers them in salsa or sliced into rounds and scattered on top of whatever we're having for dinner though...says they get boring all by themselves after a while.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #3
madplanter57
Tomatovillian™

My hubby likes them raw, too, He will cut them in small pieces and eat them along with his meal. EVERY meal. I do can them and he eats the canned ones all winter. I grew some peppers last summer that were the hottest he had ever eaten. They were Caribbean Red Hots. I found the plants at our Farmer's Market. He could NOT eat those. A first for sure!!! I have heard of a bar somewhere that has a dish called "Fire and Ice" that is half a Habanero with a small scoop of sherbet in it. You pop it into your mouth and chew. Surely alcohol is involved!!!
Old February 13, 2008   #4
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

I love them on a bagel with cream cheese. The cream cheese works to diffuse the heat and you can really taste the fruity Habanero, my favorite pepper.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2008   #5
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I've been known to eat them raw, but generally just to show off. I find them too hot really, especially raw with an off-taste that I just don't care for. I like a pepper with a bit less heat and more flavor to my liking.

When my wife and I were out in California one time we went to an outdoor marketplace, and one booth was selling various habanero products. Well, there was a crowd around the place and the hawker was daring anyone to eat a whole habanero. Being the macho sort I volunteered, and in front of the crowd chowed down on a whole pepper. I kept a straight face and said something like 'good'. The proprietor of the booth offered me chocolate or crackers to cool the burn...nope...I don't need anything, I'm fine. People were impressed and amazed that the whole habanero had seemingly no effect on me. After we walked away and not facing the booth....50 feet or so...I grunted to my wife that I thought I was gonna die

Then here was the time 2 years ago that my buddy Pat fed a hunk of raw habanero to Bully's bosses wife! Bully said that he didn't have a party last year, but I'm not so sure that Pat and I didn't just get un-invited to last years party. Mr. and Mrs. Bully sure can be the sensitive types sometimes
Old February 13, 2008   #6
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

My daughter-in-law loves hot peppers, the hotter the better. Last summer I grew her some orange habeneros. Our grandson was about one and a half at the time was in the garden with me. He saw the bright orange pepper and before I could stop him he picked it and took a huge bite out of it and said, "That's a good one Grandpa, can I have more?"

Do you suppose it's genetics or what was in the mother's bloodstream while the kid was developing?
Old February 13, 2008   #7
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Very funny story...I think the Habs have an earthy, woody type of flavor when cooked. I really like that taste above all other hots.

That being said, my boss is looking for the ghost pepper(out of India I think) to try out on my guy....

Oh-yeah Ladies...Being it's Valentines Day and such tomorrow, leave the peppers off the table !

-Jimmy
Old February 13, 2008   #8
johno
Tomatovillian™

I grew the orange Habaneros several years ago. I timidly took a nibble from the tip (the first time) and tough it was nice and fruity - really the best pepper I'd ever tasted. Then I took a big bite ...

After that I used them for cooking, but even a sliver or two can be too much for most folks' tastes.

I had people try them raw, of course . One of my friends ate the whole thing, and his neck turned purple with blisters! Those suckers are hot!

I hope Trinidad Perfume or something similar will give me that fruity flavor without the atomic heat.
Old February 14, 2008   #9
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure that there is a genetic factor, for some people handling hot peppers better than others. Back when we lived in Mexico, I once visited a new missionary family. To be hospitable I went out and got them some good tacos (with hot sauce and chiles on the side). That way they could add what they wanted. Anyway, their four year old got hold of the chiles and ate them like candy! Now he's over 18, and that trait has stuck with him. My wife, on the other hand, never tasted a hot pepper until she was about 19. We were in college and I invited her to a Mexican restaurant. There was a bowl of pickled cherry peppers on the table and she naively asked, "What are those?" Not thinking she would actually believe me, I replied, "they're pickled tomatoes. Try one." She only touched one to the tip of her tongue... and turned fire engine red, draining both our glasses of ice water. Yet, after living in Mexico for some years my wife used to "out chile" us all.

The Habanero is my absolute favorite for flavor. But I cut way back on the heat, after several bouts with typhoid (not on account of hot food) and gastritis. After a couple years of bland diet, I discovered that a little chile produced the same effects as what a lot used to. So, I decided simply not to crank things back up to where they used to be.

When we first moved to Mexico we lived in a high rainforest area where the rocoto pepper is commonly grown. I heard about an American tourist who was probably drinking, and took a dare to chomp down a rocoto, seeds and all. He did it, thus winning the dare. But a few minutes later his throat swelled shut and he died. So, as they say in Mexico, "Excess in nothing: moderation in all things..."

George
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2008   #10
JimmyWu
Tomatovillian™

Some of those stories brings back some hot food memories...

I once went hiking with a female friend of mine at Hanging Rock, N.C.... Afterwords, we had lunch at East Coast Wings. They boast a menu of something like 25 flavors of wings with 6 degrees of hotness. As from reading the menu and not wanting to make a spectacle of myself by signing the waiver (even if there really is one), I chose one step down "The Insanity". They were hot, not habanero hot mind you but really hot. I could feel my hair getting wet from sweating underneath my ballcap. The back of my neck was soaking my tee-shirt and all the while I'm fighting the good fight Machoism !!! My date is asking..."How are the wings?", "Are they hot ?" Macho man replies...."NAH" and by now sadistic man is thinking she has to try this sauce. I baited her and baited her until she tried it and then...."OMG Why do you do that to yourself"

-Jimmy
Old February 14, 2008   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Anyone who eats raw anything above 9 on the Scoville scale has to be a masochist. Next thing you know, a hammer will be laying besides the plate and a good rap on the knuckles will accompany each bite. :-)
Old February 14, 2008   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I bring the things on the plane with me and eat them with a little cheese, crackers and summer sausage.

You should see the look on people’s faces when I do this.

I always put out a nice little spread on the plane when I fly to work.

I also carry beef jerky and habanera sauce with me for a morning snack at the gate before I go to the Slope.
But to just eat them plain, no they don’t taste good that way.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #13
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

I have seen a kid eat a raw orange habanero, said was not hot to him. Seeds and all. The other kid I talked him in to a sweet cherry. Kids begging me for a pepper to eat at market.

Years Back we had home canned pickled hot cherry peppers. Dinner time this rancher was at our house and back then who ever is there eats with you. I put the food on the table and jar of peppers. We had beans and Dad takes pepper out of jar and puts on the saucer and cuts him off a piece . ,They were large ones. Dad passed the saucer to this rancher and he just takes the pepper and we tell him extremely hot. He found it was HOT. He tries to just eat it. Why the cherries were that hot I don't know. We would slice a little off a pepper and chop it in to our serving of beans.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #14
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Default Any Raw Habanero Eaters?

A while back, within the past year, on the news they showed a guy in Mexico who squeezes the juice from hot peppers into his eyes. He claims it doesn't bother him. Even showed him in a grocery store picking up several hot peppers, then squeezing the juice into his eyes. Not sure if any habaneros were involved. He was also taking bites out of some of them. Very odd.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2008   #15
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

I temporarily blinded myself one time with habanero juices that was on my fingers.I was slicing up habaneros[bare-handed]for salsa,then started dicing onions which caused my eyes to water.I wiped at my eyes with my hands and got the habanero juice in my eyes[both of them !]The pain was horrible !!I screamed for my husband to come help me because I couldn't see at all and I spent the afternoon on the sofa with cold cloths on my eyes and whimpering..I can't believe i was so stupid to not scrub my hands immediately after cutting the habaneros..So that guy in Mexico is a scam,if you ask me,he is using a non-toxic pepper to show off,there is no way he is going to be squeezing a hot pepper juice into his eyes without pain.His eyes are no different than yours and mine.Very odd,yes indeedy,very odd..
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote