Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 21, 2019   #31
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

In my area, the king is Goliath. That trend started about 10-15 years ago, I'd guess. Next is Big Beef. And since everyone asks for Better Boy, and they are as good as anything for slicing, canning, and green fried, I have to have those.

Other favorites for growers in my area are Amelia, Mountain Fresh, Dixie Red, and Bella Rosa.

I love Brandywine Sudduth, but they aren't as productive as Goliath, yet I still plant them. This year I have about 100. I also planted Cherokee Purple, which is a favorite of customers here. I probably planted about 20 different varieties, and of those 5 will probably outsell everything else combined.

The general public is mostly interested in varieties that they are used to, or remember from their youth. I have some yellows, some cherries, etc., but the big red and pink summer slicers is what everyone wants.