Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2014   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes...and the refrigerator

There is really a nice article in today's LA Times. It talks about the influence that refrigerators have on different fruits/veges. In short, it states that tomatoes should never be put in the frig. The study showed the frig negatively affected "fruity-floral aromas and sweetness. I had heard this before. Some other fruits are less affected AFTER ripe.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
There is really a nice article in today's LA Times. It talks about the influence that refrigerators have on different fruits/veges. In short, it states that tomatoes should never be put in the frig. The study showed the frig negatively affected "fruity-floral aromas and sweetness. I had heard this before. Some other fruits are less affected AFTER ripe.
So true and not putting them in the fridge, that's tomatoes, has been known for a very long time as far as I know.

Wait a minute. Is the article talking about putting ripe or unripe tomatoes in the fridge and I ask b'c of your last sentence.

Carolyn
Old July 5, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I never store my tomatoes in the fridge, preferring a bowl on the counter. However, you can chill a ripe tomato just before using it if you wish without ruining the flavor. Some dishes and salads are nicer if the ingredients are chilled, fresh salsa is an example. The secret is to not keep them in there, just use it to chill them before eating if they are to be used in a cold dish.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #4
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So true and not putting them in the fridge, that's tomatoes, has been known for a very long time as far as I know.

Wait a minute. Is the article talking about putting ripe or unripe tomatoes in the fridge and I ask b'c of your last sentence.

Carolyn
C...the article talked about other fruits (like peaches, plums, etc.) that store well in the frig after they are fully ripe. It even talked about some "tropical" fruit that actually physically degrades when refrigerated. They can become woody and pitty. The article said NEVER put tomatoes in the fridge. I do think Karen makes a good point, however.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #5
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

well, i don't think not putting tomatoes in the fridge is news. it's common knowledge since people have been storing tomatoes but i have put them in the fridge when i have too many to eat before they rot on the kitchen table.
they will loose taste and texture but they will last a few days longer.
only do it when i'm overwelmed with them. most people say they last longer at room temperature.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #6
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

I pick everything at the first blush and store them on the 60F shelf of the wine fridge.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavanta View Post
I pick everything at the first blush and store them on the 60F shelf of the wine fridge.
Absolutely the best advice I have ever seen on this forum for storing tomatoes.

Way to go.

Did you guys know that a 70 degree tomato will feel very cool in your mouth when you eat it?
Your mouth is 98.6 degrees: anything cooler in it will feel cooler.
A 70 degree tomato is 28.6 degrees cooler.
I drink all of my beer around 45 to 50 degrees, most of my wine I keep at around 68 to 70.
All of my fruit is the same, I cant stand cold fruit.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramapojoe View Post
well, i don't think not putting tomatoes in the fridge is news. it's common knowledge since people have been storing tomatoes but i have put them in the fridge when i have too many to eat before they rot on the kitchen table.
they will loose taste and texture but they will last a few days longer.
only do it when i'm overwelmed with them. most people say they last longer at room temperature.

I do farmers markets and a roadside stand...you would not believe the number of people who think they should be in the fridge. It does change the texture, sugar and flavor of the fruit. Melons shouldn't be put in the fridge, either.
Old July 6, 2014   #9
lavanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Absolutely the best advice I have ever seen on this forum for storing tomatoes.

Way to go.

Worth
WOW thanks! I am not known for giving "best advice ever" on anything here on TV.
lavanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #10
creister
Tomatovillian™

I only refrigerate if I am going to can them, and don't want them to rot on the counter.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #11
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know not to put tomatoes in the fridge until I was in my early 20s (I am in my early 30s now.) I think I was already done with college when I read it online somewhere. My parents should be ashamed of themselves for neglecting to teach me this, clearly, haha. It really does make a huge difference not keeping them in the fridge.
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #12
tedln

I prefer my tomatoes chilled before eating. If we are feeding many people for dinner, I usually prepare a platter of cut/sliced tomato varieties two or three hours before dinner and refrigerate them before serving. In my humble opinion, the chilled taste is better than room temp. taste. I think chilling tomatoes is a choice as subjective as serving ice cold beer or warm beer. It depends on who you ask.

Ted
Old July 7, 2014   #13
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Love the wine refrigerator idea!

Chilling tomatoes- depending on what I am serving, I will chill them for an hour.
IMHO - an hour or two does not affect flavor.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I prefer warm tomatoes picked fully ripe late in the afternoon, eaten right in the garden still completely warm from the sun. But if you do need to store them, root cellars work great. No colder than that though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote