Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old December 11, 2014   #1
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden Hoard

Hi,

I came across this vendor while looking for a commercial source of Donskoi seeds:

http://www.gardenhoard.com/

None of the usual vendors I like to buy from seem to carry the Donskoi seeds, so I'm happy to have found this source. They seem to have a good selection of tomatoes and the shipping is reasonable.

FWIW,
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014   #2
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

not sure what this means:

From http://www.gardenhoard.com/tomato-se...ple-seeds.html
An old Cherokee Indian heirloom, pre-1890 variety from Tennessee. Cherokee Purple has a beautiful deep dusky purple-pink color, superb sweet flavor, and large sized fruit. Very attractive sliced on a plate. Try this one for real old-time tomato flavor. Plants produce large vines that yield 6-16 oz. beefsteaks.

80 days. An old Cherokee Indian heirloom, pre-1890 variety; beautiful deep dusky purple-pink color, superb sweet flavor, and very large sized fruit. Try this one for real old-time tomato flavor. My favorite dark tomato!
klemmabyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klemmabyna View Post
not sure what this means:

From http://www.gardenhoard.com/tomato-se...ple-seeds.html
An old Cherokee Indian heirloom, pre-1890 variety from Tennessee. Cherokee Purple has a beautiful deep dusky purple-pink color, superb sweet flavor, and large sized fruit. Very attractive sliced on a plate. Try this one for real old-time tomato flavor. Plants produce large vines that yield 6-16 oz. beefsteaks.

80 days. An old Cherokee Indian heirloom, pre-1890 variety; beautiful deep dusky purple-pink color, superb sweet flavor, and very large sized fruit. Try this one for real old-time tomato flavor. My favorite dark tomato!
It means that both are wrong with the dating of it. Recent DNA analysis of alleles shows that Cherokee Purple was not 100 yo when john Green sent the seeds to Craig LeHoullier.

Here's the link that shows that>

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...529042.html?13

Go down to the April 21 post by Mulio

And it also means that once again, someone is copying text from another vendor.

I just looked at the site and got to page 2 of tomatoes and I can also tell you that the site owner has my book b/c words/phrases I see there are from my book as well as Amy Goldmans book since when I got to Opalka, which I introduced what I saw was aka Polish Torpedo and only does it say that in her book, a baddie by one of her paid researchers.

I tried to get to Tania's site to pull up the info about Donskoi but her site is down, probably due to the wicked weather in her area.Looking in my 2014 SSE Yearbook all who listed it got it from Tania.

A Google search suggests that there are probably other sources for this variety, but sonce you've got one already, go for it.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=donskoi+tomato

Carolyn
Old December 12, 2014   #4
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

I checked before ordering and, unfortunately, Tania isn't currently offering the Donskoi seeds. Her database doesn't list a Donskoi seed vendor for 2014 and just lists Delectation of Tomatoes for 2013. Delectation of Tomatoes does apparently carry the Donskoi seeds, but their website isn't the most user friendly and they don't seem to take credit cards (looks like just pay pal - which I try to avoid if at all possible).

So, I was happy to find another source for Donskoi that takes takes Visa - although I would have preferred to ordering from Tania or another of the TV member seed vendors.

Anne
Old December 12, 2014   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Carolyn,

I checked before ordering and, unfortunately, Tania isn't currently offering the Donskoi seeds. Her database doesn't list a Donskoi seed vendor for 2014 and just lists Delectation of Tomatoes for 2013. Delectation of Tomatoes does apparently carry the Donskoi seeds, but their website isn't the most user friendly and they don't seem to take credit cards (looks like just pay pal - which I try to avoid if at all possible).

So, I was happy to find another source for Donskoi that takes takes Visa - although I would have preferred to ordering from Tania or another of the TV member seed vendors.

Anne
And I'm feeling badly b/c while all who listed Donskoi in the 2014 SSE Yearbook got their initial seeds from Tania, one of them listing it is one of my four regular seed producers for my seed offer and we've known each other since about 1992 and he would have sent me seeds for it or I could have asked him to send you the seeds directly.

I do apologize for my memory lapse, but it does happen from time to time.

Carolyn
Old December 14, 2014   #6
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclum View Post
Hi Carolyn,

Anne
Anne, your PayPal account can be setup to take your Visa credit card for paying vendors.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #7
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

No apology needed!! Very nice of you to have offered to get some seed to me though. I'll let you know if the Garden Hoard order doesn't pan out. I probably could have just asked for the seeds in a post to the wanted varieties forum, but I generally prefer to purchase from a vendor (esp. if they happen to be TV members ). I guess about everyone growing Donskoi must have gotten their seeds through Tania, your seed offer, or a subsequent trade. Seems like you've had a hand somewhere down (or at the beginning of) the line for the majority of tomatoes I grow each year. I'm continually amazed and impressed! .

Dustdevil,

Thanks for taking the time to post. Last time I tried to use Pay Pal, I got bumped to Bill Me Later which wouldn't accept Visa and which I hate even more than Pay Pal. Aside from that irritation, I just don't like going through Pay Pal on principle (don't ask ).
Anne
Old December 15, 2014   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Anne - I know what you mean by the Bill Me Later crap. Last year I had purchased a reconditioned laptop on Ebay and there was no way I could get out of the Bill Me Later loop, the credit card option just would not come up no matter how many times I logged off and on and changed computers. I finally found a number to call to complain that they were standing in the way of me fullfilling my purchase obligation and they apologized and must have flipped some coding on me, because I have not had that problem since. The Bill Me Later option is there, but I can ignore it. I'm not that wild about using PayPal, but neither do I like giving my credit card out to a lot of small companies that I don't know very well, or that might not have the best security. I guess it's the times we live in, no good solution.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #9
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Hi Dee,

I'm somewhat relieved to know that I'm not the only one who has had Pal Pay/Bill Me Later problems . I guess I'd use it again if it were the only possible way to get something I really wanted, but until that happens, I'm OK with looking for alternatives.

BTW, I got my Garden Hoard order in the mail today. Very nice packaging, good prices, and relatively fast service. I'd order from them again (although I like to spread my orders around amongst various vendors -particularly if they're members of TV .

Anne