Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 25, 2015   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Snake Rescue

I was in the garage next door having my evening conversation with my neighbor lady.
She said she heard something moving behind her.
It was dark and I turned my phone light on.
I told her it was a snake.
She got in the house as fast as she could with her cane.

It was caught in a sticky trap and I got down on my belly so I could see it better.
Well anyway after using some vegetable oil I got it out of the trap.
Here it is and it was so happy to be rescued.
I took it to the garden and turned it loose.
A hog nose snake.
Isn't it sweet.
Poor baby.

Take note on how I am holding it.
This is how you hold a snake so you dont hurt them, not by pinching them behind the head.
How would you like to be picked up by the neck.

At any time he could have crawled out of my hand I think it knew I helped it.
IMG_201504252865.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; April 25, 2015 at 10:32 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #2
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I'm not fond of snakes but I'm glad you rescued the little guy from that trap and I hope he eats lots of bad bugs in your garden
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm glad you rescued it. Snakes are very misunderstood.

We used to have three snake types here a lot. What we call a chicken snake, green tree snakes, and copperheads. I've only seen one copperhead in three years now. You can smell them before seeing them.

The chicken snakes eat a lot of mice. They are actually kind of friendly too. They are always welcome in our garden. I'm not sure what the green tree snakes are called, but they are thin in diameter with a small head, and I've only seen them in trees.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I'm glad you rescued it. Snakes are very misunderstood.

We used to have three snake types here a lot. What we call a chicken snake, green tree snakes, and copperheads. I've only seen one copperhead in three years now. You can smell them before seeing them.

The chicken snakes eat a lot of mice. They are actually kind of friendly too. They are always welcome in our garden. I'm not sure what the green tree snakes are called, but they are thin in diameter with a small head, and I've only seen them in trees.
This is your snake I am almost sure of it.
The Rough Green Snake.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.b2w&cad=rja
Old April 25, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My wife was deathly scared of snakes and all other things great and small.
After marrying me and learning to trust me she didn't have a problem any more.
She learned to respect critters and understand why they were here.

She got to the point that she would rescue snakes, move scorpions out of the house so they could live outside and even pick up a possum while it was hissing.
She also learned from me good spider bad spider.

I think life is one heck of a lot better when you aren't running around being scared of critters all of the time.

Worth
Old April 25, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That is probably it. I've seen them up to 30 inches long. They are not afraid of us. I've never seen one in a juniper, cedar, or mountain cedar tree, but I figure they are there. I see them in oak and elm trees often. They are kind of lazy. I've never seen them eating, so I'm unsure of their diet.
Old April 25, 2015   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I'm not picking up a hissing opossum! Some things, I just leave alone. lol
Old April 25, 2015   #8
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Those sticky traps are a double edged sword. On one hand it does stop a lot of bad stuff from getting into your house, but it also catches a few good guys, like this rat snake I found in a sticky trap in my garage last year:

Poor little guy! I did the same thing you did, Worth. Got the olive oil out from the kitchen, poured it over the areas he was stuck in, and helped wiggle him free from the glue. I put paper down on the trap so he wouldn't re-stick himself accidentally on another section of the trap. I didn't handle him, because I didn't know how, but I let him slither away into the liriope grass off the trap once he got free.

My co-workers think I'm weird. Snakes, spiders, mantids, you name it I probably like 'em. There was a yellow garden spider that made a home in one of my basil plants, when she passed on I gave her a proper burial with a bamboo cross

Last edited by Vespertino; April 26, 2015 at 09:50 AM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2015   #9
JoParrott

You guys are something else- I feel like I am making a new bunch of buddies reading your posts- especially you, Worth!
Old April 26, 2015   #10
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

S'alright. Vespertino, lots of people think I'm weird. A coworker who has worked with me for many years warns people not to talk about killing spiders in front of me unless they want to hear my "Spiders Are Our Friends" lecture. One of my neighbors alls me her Shero because I'm not afraid of frogs, lizards, or snakes.

Last summer she called me when a lizard got stuck on a fly sticky paper, and I used the oil, same as you and Worth, to get it off. It was a little anole lizard, and it tried to bite my finger. It was still holding on when I got it loose, like anoles do; and I just walked outside with it dangling from my pinkie. My neighbor said she didn't know whether to be freaked out or impressed.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2015   #11
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

A couple years ago a lizard got stuck in the hole of an empty black nursery plant container. I heard all this noise in some dried grass and dead leaves and made the discovery. It was really hard to free him because he had pushed in so far I had to cut the hole larger to get him out. You know, he was very still while I did that and then I poured some warm water on him and off he want, to live another day!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote