Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old March 27, 2009   #16
tomatoaddict

Quote:
If Parks can't handle internet orders in an honest way, they shouldn't be taking internet orders!
Yes!! That was my big issue and what pi$$ed me off so bad. They should have had it listed as "BO". Not make you believe it is in stock and keep waiting until you are sweating bullets because you need what you ordered.. If something isn't in stock when you order it you can go to Plan B. Just be honest with customers when they order.
Old March 28, 2009   #17
jebgordon
Tomatovillian™

I agree that Park Seed really has issues in their internet orders. I ordered from Park for the first time last Fall. I was very interested to try out the "Bio-Dome" product. It stated the bio-dome will ship in Nov., but I only recd. it this Feb.
This item is imported from Holland, so it must have been shipped on a really slow boat to arrive so late. I also ordered an "APS24" seed starting system from Gardeners Supply Co. based on a recommedation from Tomatofest.com. This system uses seed starter potting mix verses the bio-domes plugs to start your tomato seeds.
To test the two systems, I planted one seed in each cell/plug and each seed germinated in a few days. Boy was I happy, but after the seedlings began to grow the plants
in the APS were really taking off. The bio-dome plants were
like midgets. At the end of five weeks the APS plants are
hardened off and ready to plant out this weekend. The bio-dome plants are healthy ,but two weeks behind in maturity.
Does anymore else have comparisons growing seedlings in
seed starter mix verses grow plugs?
Thanks, JB
jebgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #18
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Woodchuck

What were your backorder items from Park's?

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #19
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeboss View Post
Woodchuck

What were your backorder items from Park's?

George
2 more cultivars have allegedly shipped, leaving 5.

Early Dwarf Hakucho Soybean

Little Lucy Okra

Sweet Pickle Pepper

Hestia Dwarf Runner Bean

Moneymaker Tomato

~Woodchuck
Old March 28, 2009   #20
karpes
Tomatovillian™

I ordered in early December and received several deliveries. I canceled after the fourth delivery because I could buy cheaper locally and the freight charges were more expensive than the cost of the seeds. My lesson learned is to ask if everything I order is in stock and not to assume that they will ship everything in one order. Other than that the seed germination rates were good and they were courteous and apologetic when I canceled the unreceived items in February.
Karpes
karpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #21
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpes View Post
My lesson learned is to ask if everything I order is in stock and not to assume that they will ship everything in one order.
I asked that very question BEFORE I placed the order. That's what burns me the most, I was lied to.

Anyway...
I received some seeds today....I didn't receive some of the seeds that were supposed to have been shipped with THIS shipment according to the online status and customer service ....still 6 on back order. The seeds were shipped to the wrong address...they ignored the ship-to address, that could have led to disaster, but luckily, it worked out!

I'm done with Park Seeds!

~Woodchuck
Old March 28, 2009   #22
Woodchuck
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from several other companies this year without serious problems, just like I always do.

All were honest.
I had a minor problem with Tomato Growers Supply.
I entered a ship to address when I ordered and received an email confirmation after ordering that included the proper ship to address. Because of some software glitch or something, the office didn't get the proper ship to address info.
The seeds were shipped to the wrong address, but luckily it worked out without a major problem.
I called and told them what happened, they apologized and were thankful for the information.

I ordered from Nichol's without any problem...but get this...the order number....8JD80DHG8U0G9LHCKTSNK0VB30.

I called them...
"Supercalafragilisticexpialodocious, I think your order number is quite atrocious!" LMAO!

No Joke!

Talk about a breeding ground for errors!

What's up with that? LOL

All companies deserve high marks except for Parks!!!

~Woodchuck

Last edited by Woodchuck; March 28, 2009 at 10:48 PM.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #23
karpes
Tomatovillian™

WOODCHUCK
It looks like the Daves garden watchdog agrees with you. Check it out and post your opinion if you feel inclined. Looks like their services are declining.
Karpes

http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/3/
karpes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #24
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

After reading the Watchdog ratings, I have removed Park's Seed from the list of seed sellers here.

They must have new management or something along those lines.

This reminds me of when the dubious direct marketing firm Foster & Gallagher bought out Gurney's, Henry Field's, Spring Hill Nurseries, Breck's, Michigan Bulb Co., Stark Brothers, Vermont Wildflower Farms and single handedly destroyed the reputations of them all, simultaneously.

I grew up ordering from Gurney's and was saddened to see them decimated. Looks like Park's is following in their footsteps.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #25
Mischka

FOLLOWUP: After doing some investigating and making a few phone calls, I can confirm that Park Seed Co. is no longer controlled by Karen Park Jennings or her family members.

It is controlled by an investment holding company, M-Three Concepts, Inc.

There's an address listed for them at 2170 West State Road 434 in Longwood, Florida.

There is some type of litigation going on between them and if/when I find out more details, I'll post them here.

can keep my spirit

Old March 29, 2009   #26
tomatoaddict

I wondered myself if Park was under new management. Too bad. Good investigative skills M!
Old March 29, 2009   #27
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I feel very fortunate. I actually ordered from Park Seeds twice last year and received both my complete orders without delay or substitutions/backorders. It is always a shame to see any supplier go the wrong way. I feel that our tomato passion is somehow diminished by this business failure.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2009   #28
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
After reading the Watchdog ratings, I have removed Park's Seed from the list of seed sellers here.

They must have new management or something along those lines.

This reminds me of when the dubious direct marketing firm Foster & Gallagher bought out Gurney's, Henry Field's, Spring Hill Nurseries, Breck's, Michigan Bulb Co., Stark Brothers, Vermont Wildflower Farms and single handedly destroyed the reputations of them all, simultaneously.

I grew up ordering from Gurney's and was saddened to see them decimated. Looks like Park's is following in their footsteps.
Yeah, Jackson & Perkins used to have decent roses, too, until they were bought out by the company that now owns Park...
johnsonjrbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2009   #29
Mischka

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjrbm View Post
Yeah, Jackson & Perkins used to have decent roses, too, until they were bought out by the company that now owns Park...
Jackson & Perkins’ new president is Charles “Chas" Fox, as of last year.

"Chas" doesn’t have a horticulture background or anything remotely resembling one. He’s a former NFL wide receiver. (!) He played for the KC Chiefs for his entire 1 year career back in 1986.

Here's another big surprise. Along with his post at Jackson & Perkins, he’s also president of Park Seed, Park Wholesale and Wayside Gardens and also president and CEO of Southern Sun Biosystems.

From ZoomInfo: "We make plants grow faster at a lower cost, and we're better for the environment," claims Fox.

Southern Sun calls its technology "the operating system of the next century" for plant production. Patented by Clemson University scientist Dr. Jeff Adelberg, it accelerates the growing process by producing "finger-sized tissue culture transplants that are free of diseases, pests and pesticides."

"The transplants, called CU-Starts, are small enough to be shipped internationally and strong enough to be planted directly into the field. The Acclimatron houses transplants in a natural light hydroponic growing system that delivers plant nutrients through circulating water."

All the companies are owned by the same investor, Don Hachenberger. (who with his wife Glenda, is one of the founders of the RE/MAX real estate empire)

Now we know where some of that real estate bubble money went... gobbling up these companies that will be stripped of their assets, real estate holdings and sadly, once-sterling reputations.

The value of their real estate business has been battered, so what's the next step to recoup some fast cash? Product quality and customer satisfaction both take a back seat to profits when this happens.

They have more holding companies on paper than you can imagine. This is a tip-off that they've insulated their assets from each other in the event one of them financially collapses - legal yes, but a red flag in my eyes. Sort of a shell game on paper.

Spend your hard-earned money elsewhere, folks.

can keep my spirit

Old March 30, 2009   #30
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Thanks for that tidbit of info Mischka. I will know not to buy from them!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote