Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 13, 2014   #1
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Default Any thoughts on this container idea?

I've acquired (or tricked into taking) about 25 Banana boxes from a grocery store. These are rather thick and sturdy, about 4 ply...with a waxy type finish on them. They would hold I'm guessing about 10 gallons. They come with lids that have a 12x12" square hold in top of lid and the boxes have two large holes near bottom on each side. I was wondering what you guys thought of maybe using some of these to grow tomatoes and peppers filled with a 5-1-1 mix and some sort of pvc pipe for drainage and watering. I was thinking since they had the waxy finish, they might last longer outside and was also thinking of covering them with plastic trash bags taped around them and maybe lifting the lids up higher than where they would normally sit and duct tape lids to the box up higher to hold more soil. Anyone have any thoughts on this? if they just lasted a season, seems that would be ok to me. I've got about 84 heirlooms to put somewhere and i'm not about to try 'red-clay gardening again' or spend money I don't have on raised beds or earth-tainers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bananabox.jpg (23.0 KB, 221 views)
DonB5750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Heres my thoughts: Don't do it! Waxy finish or not, when it gets wet it will collapse.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

hmmm. not sure how that would work and I tend to agree with Marsha, however if you decide to give it a go, I would line them with the plastic bags like a garbage can as opposed to covering the outside of the boxes with the plastic bags.
you will need to poke some drainage holes in the bottom of your trash bag liners and It might work. I would think it could work better for quick crops like lettuces for example as they would possibly stand up long enough but I'm not sure they would make it through a whole tomato season.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #4
hieu45
Tomatovillian™

Check out this video from Gary Pilarchik on Youtube. He has a bunch of great how to videos and suggestions for your garden.

This video is exactly what you are trying to do -->>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7zD4rNIJGI

Last edited by hieu45; April 14, 2014 at 01:58 AM.
hieu45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #5
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The banana boxes I've seen aren't all that water proof. According to the dimensions I found on the internet they are 19 in x 12.5 in x 8.25 inches for volume of 1959 cubic inches or 8.5 gallons.

If I was going to use boxes I'd try to get those that produce like lettuce comes in. They are much more heavily waxed and might stand up to being wer inside and out.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2014   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I think I would buy some cheap grow bags instead. I bought a bunch of 2 and 5 gallon for rally inexpensive. Just look for a company that sells nursery supplies.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have had wooden wine boxes as planters that only lasted one watering. The banana boxes are going to melt for sure as soon as the water hits em'.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #8
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your input everyone. Not very encouraging so far but I still may try a few. I was going to set them on some old carpet and a runner of weed barrier/mulch with the trash bag inside of it and draped over box and duct-taped. I like the video you sent HIeu45....thanks so much. I really can't see how it wouldn't last a season fixed that way in the video. It's real tempting to try it for a few plants. Seems it would have enough volume except for maybe Brandywines and similar tall growers. I was going to put T-posts along side of a row of them with a weave-type trellis.
Old April 14, 2014   #9
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

If I was going to try to use the boxes I'd wrap them in bailing twine or some such cord to given them more strength against outward pressure. The other thing you need to consider is how valuable is the soil inside as compared to the box. I think it will work but I'd have a plan on salvaging the soil if you want to reuse it.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #10
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Good idea...maybe get a roll of light wire and twist them tight around box with needle-nose pliers. Thanks
Old April 14, 2014   #11
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default I have had fairly good luck using them doubled up

I put the bottom inside the top and use them for lettuce, green onions, radishes and Sugar snap peas. Put 2 or 3 layers of cardboard in the bottom to cover up the hole.
I have never grown tomatoes in them, so i can't help you there.

I have grown tomatoes in the boxes that meat comes in. They are heavily paraffined and worked fairly well. Raise the flaps up, tape them off and you get an 18" deep box.
Set them on plywood and they will last longer.

Ken

Last edited by Ken4230; April 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Bad memory
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2014   #12
DonB5750
Tomatovillian™

Default Another thought on this

Not sure everyone is reading all my post but thanks for the suggestions. These are very heavily waxed and I have stated that they would be wrapped in plastic trash bags...now, other than the initial thoughts that they would be too flimsy or get too damp, what other issues would I have with them? If wrapped, not placed directly on soil, tightened up and kept from bulging out......what else is a concern?
Old April 14, 2014   #13
hieu45
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB5750 View Post
Not sure everyone is reading all my post but thanks for the suggestions. These are very heavily waxed and I have stated that they would be wrapped in plastic trash bags...now, other than the initial thoughts that they would be too flimsy or get too damp, what other issues would I have with them? If wrapped, not placed directly on soil, tightened up and kept from bulging out......what else is a concern?
The only other concern I would have would be to make sure you set them where you want them permanently, otherwise you will have some real trouble if you need to move them. I don't know how flimsy those boxes really are, but you may be able to get away with moving them on a dolly.
hieu45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #14
falconblack
Tomatovillian™

My wife uses flax bales and plants tomatoes,peppers,squash just about anything in them.We turn them on their side then she soaks them real good.When wet enough she makes spaces in side and plants what ever she wants to then after season we put them in compost pile and start with new ones the following season.No weed problems,hold water very well and at end recycled.
falconblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2014   #15
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

This makes sense. If you are looking to be thrifty.

Use the boxes as cardboard mulch or something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
I think I would buy some cheap grow bags instead. I bought a bunch of 2 and 5 gallon for rally inexpensive. Just look for a company that sells nursery supplies.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote