Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 6, 2016   #1
cassiani
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 season review

When I saved last year's seeds for the first time I had no clue what was an F2. (I've been growing tomatoes for 20 years.)

I puted my seeds to germinate on march 1st, with intention to bring them out around may 5th then put in garden a week later. I Bought the lights, jiffy pellets and everything... invested around 500$ and a lot of time.
Then I learned about F1, F2.. I red on genetic, learned, but still decided to run my own experience and continue investing time.
Here is a few pics at week 7.
Photo du 16-04-19 à 17.15.jpg

Photo du 16-04-20 à 16.56.jpg

Photo du 16-04-20 à 16.58.jpg

I sarted with 32 of the ''fantastic'' strain, gave a few, killed one with overdose of MG, and discarded the rest. I kept 9 of them. Everything grew pretty consitant until I've put them in ground: they where almost the same height, same size and number of cluster. Deep green healty folliage with strong stem.
Once in ground only 2 of them continued growing. The rest of them are still on august 6th less than 2 feet tall. Fruits are small, some tasteless and unconsistant. On one same plant I have a roma type fruit, a round one and a pointy end one.

Most important: F2s are diseases magnet. They where the first to show early blight, first to introduce septoria and also first ever to introduce bacterial canker. Despite aggressive prunning and bleach spray, I had to remove 2 and all of the are badly sick.

I also started 9 Super sweet 100 strain. Bringin' hem to week 10 inside was a challenge and they where going leggy as hell. I kept 5 of them. All of them as today august 6 are just like last year's 1st generation. Yield is amazing just as the taste. They where at the other end of the garden and have litte to no sign of leaves disease dispite no prunning at all.

Conclusion: This was my first and last year experience growing F2, unless I am ready to invest a ★★★★ load of space and time into a breeding program with a precised goal. It's like russian roulette plus now my grow space needs to rest for 3 years so I get rid of the canker. Next season gotta have to go with a thrusted seed source.

good luck everyone in there project!
cassiani is offline   Reply With Quote