Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago   #151
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 579
Default

I don't believe in predictions that far off either but Stephen Hawking was a really intelligent guy
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #152
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™
 
DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Corinth, texas
Posts: 1,429
Default

"
I believe there is only one logical solution and that would be phase out the use of fossil fuels starting with coal which is the worst offender. But I think we already started that process and somehow it got rolled back."

Coal is already being phased out of electricity generation. It is being replaced with natural gas which is still a fossil fuel. We have enough natural gas in this country to last 100 years. But the problem is natural gas measured in cubic feet is much lower in energy measured in BTU's than a comparable amount of coal measured in weight. To generate an equal amount of electricity as coal, natural gas may have higher emissions of carbon dioxide. Hydrogen powered or polymer electrolyte fuel cells are probably the best answer to replace coal. Hopefully, the hydrogen can be extracted from sea water leaving the oxygen atoms for atmospheric release or some other purpose. Fuel cells can be located at point of use eliminating generation plants and power lines. Every car and home and factory would have it's own fuel cell or fuel cells. The problem with hydrogen is it has to be contained in stainless steel. When it is contained in iron or normal steel containers, it extracts the carbon from the metal causing hydrogen embritlement and possible explosions.Coal is no longer used in the production of steel in this country. Electric furnaces are now used to refine the iron ore. Coal is still used in China and they build new steel mills every day.


Every solution has it's own set of problems associated with it. The best current answer is to change how we live. Drive fewer miles, keep the house warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. Stop deforesting the planet. Construct fewer high rise buildings and build out of insulating modern adobe like the early natives did. Cook meals with induction cooking. Stop wasting food. Buy what you will eat and eat what you buy.
Commit to reduce office and home trash output by 50%. Some new auto manufacturing plants are operating as zero landfill plants. Learn how to recycle or repurpose normal trash in your home and office. Even Henry Ford repurposed the wood in boxes his factory received parts in. They were used to construct the floor boards in his cars. That is why they were called floor boards instead of simply floors.

Last edited by DonDuck; 1 Week Ago at 10:08 PM.
DonDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #153
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North County, San Diego
Posts: 319
Default

It seems like the predictions are happening at a faster rate than expected. There seems to be a snowball affect...no pun intended.

There is no way we can stop this freight train. The best we can hope for is slowing it down. Hope is a poor choice of words because it implies little action. It is our children and more importantly our grand children we have to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Someone said, "The hardest thing to predict is the future."

I've been kicking around for a while and have seen more inaccurate predictions than accurate. Hopefully some of the worst of the current predictions will be scaled back once again.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #154
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™
 
jtjmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Williamsburg VA Zone 7b
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuspaul View Post
It seems like the predictions are happening at a faster rate than expected. There seems to be a snowball affect...no pun intended.

There is no way we can stop this freight train. The best we can hope for is slowing it down. Hope is a poor choice of words because it implies little action. It is our children and more importantly our grand children we have to worry about.

Which predictions?
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #155
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
"
I believe there is only one logical solution and that would be phase out the use of fossil fuels starting with coal which is the worst offender. But I think we already started that process and somehow it got rolled back."

Coal is already being phased out of electricity generation. It is being replaced with natural gas which is still a fossil fuel. We have enough natural gas in this country to last 100 years. But the problem is natural gas measured in cubic feet is much lower in energy measured in BTU's than a comparable amount of coal measured in weight. To generate an equal amount of electricity as coal, natural gas may have higher emissions of carbon dioxide. Hydrogen powered or polymer electrolyte fuel cells are probably the best answer to replace coal. Hopefully, the hydrogen can be extracted from sea water leaving the oxygen atoms for atmospheric release or some other purpose. Fuel cells can be located at point of use eliminating generation plants and power lines. Every car and home and factory would have it's own fuel cell or fuel cells. The problem with hydrogen is it has to be contained in stainless steel. When it is contained in iron or normal steel containers, it extracts the carbon from the metal causing hydrogen embritlement and possible explosions.


Every solution has it's own set of problems associated with it. The best current answer is to change how we live. Drive fewer miles, keep the house warmer in the summer and colder in the winter. Stop deforesting the planet. Construct fewer high rise buildings and build out of insulating modern adobe like the early natives did. Cook meals with induction cooking.

While it is true that coal use is decreasing in the United States, it is also true that the EPA repealed the The Clean Power Plan in 2017 which mandated reduction. Adding to that we are exporting record amounts of coal in 2019


https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...xports-of-coal


So while I see progress I also see backward movement. We need forward movement
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #156
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North County, San Diego
Posts: 319
Default

Melting glaciers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Which predictions?
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #157
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
Posts: 37,686
Default

Selling our coal and other resources to another country should be against the law.
We might need them some day.
Keep ours buy theirs and let them run out.
__________________
A Falling Knife Has No Handle

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #158
Nematode
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 1,670
Default

Just got back from a lovely vacation on Cape Cod.
Geologists say it is the terminal moraine left behind from the glaciers 20,000 years ago. Yup glaciers still melting.
Fearmongers gaining power and lining their pockets.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #159
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 579
Default

Like I wrote last night about future generations preparing for the worst, I am doubling down on that prediction with what I read this morning.


Deleted details because it could be seen as political.


Just say that a world leader suggested pooping every other day to help save the environment.



______ ______
tells Brazilians to 'poop every other day' to help save the environment as he comes under fire for a surge in Amazon deforestation



google it



Last edited by seaeagle; 6 Days Ago at 11:51 AM.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #160
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™
 
jtjmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Williamsburg VA Zone 7b
Posts: 1,057
Default

Agree with you there Seaeagle! I remember when a singer or two was trying to say how many squares of toilet paper we should use for the same function.

I would like to see real solutions, with real cost/benefit calculations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...usicnews.music
Environmental movements: Singer tells the Global Warming College Tour to limit use to one square normally, two to three squares on 'pesky occasions'
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 Days Ago   #161
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
Posts: 37,686
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Agree with you there Seaeagle! I remember when a singer or two was trying to say how many squares of toilet paper we should use for the same function.

I would like to see real solutions, with real cost/benefit calculations.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...usicnews.music
Environmental movements: Singer tells the Global Warming College Tour to limit use to one square normally, two to three squares on 'pesky occasions'
Me too, it is like these jerks are telling us how to wipe and when to go.
Don't even get me started.
__________________
A Falling Knife Has No Handle

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #162
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: virginia
Posts: 579
Default Bill Gates is going to save us!

Count me as skeptical, but I guess someone has to try something.


Could dimming the sun save the Earth? Bill Gates wants to spray millions of tonnes of dust into the stratosphere to stop global warming... but critics fear it could trigger calamity



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...l-warming.html
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #163
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™
 
jtjmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Williamsburg VA Zone 7b
Posts: 1,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Count me as skeptical, but I guess someone has to try something.


Could dimming the sun save the Earth? Bill Gates wants to spray millions of tonnes of dust into the stratosphere to stop global warming... but critics fear it could trigger calamity



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...l-warming.html
Yeah, no. That's why carbon capture seems like a safer alternative.

I see Kudzu killing trees around me everyday when I drive. Kudzu began with good intentions too.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #164
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Branson MO
Posts: 398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Count me as skeptical, but I guess someone has to try something.


Could dimming the sun save the Earth? Bill Gates wants to spray millions of tonnes of dust into the stratosphere to stop global warming... but critics fear it could trigger calamity



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...l-warming.html
Not sure Daily Mail is more reliable than National Enquirer.
__________________
The best things in life are not things.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #165
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™
 
DonDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Corinth, texas
Posts: 1,429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Yeah, no. That's why carbon capture seems like a safer alternative.

I see Kudzu killing trees around me everyday when I drive. Kudzu began with good intentions too.

Your making me hungry! I understand kudzu is good eating.


Kudzu may be the answer to carbon capture. It covers everything around it. I saw it in Western Mississippi. It covered power poles, old houses, old cars, old tractors;and everything else close to it. I wonder how much carbon it captures. It sure prevents bright, hot; sunlight from reaching the soil.

Last edited by DonDuck; 4 Days Ago at 08:21 PM.
DonDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★