Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 14, 2018   #1
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Default Danko, Multi-flora?

A few years ago on Caroline's recommendation I picked up some Danko seeds from Tatiana. I just got around trying them this Fall and have been amazed at the number of blossoms they are forming. I counted a couple of what appeared to be representative trusses and calculated an estimate of about 500 to 600 per plant. Probably about 100 on each plant have opened. I counted 43 blossoms on one truss and 49 on another and that seems like a multi-flora blossom set to me, particularly for the 6-10 oz hearts that Danko is said to produce. Danko also set the first fruit of the season, the second to set fruit was Porter and I expect that to be the first fruit to ripen. These have the potential to be the earliest and most productive plants I have ever grown, or a seed mix up. What has your experience with Danko been?
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABlindHog View Post
A few years ago on Caroline's recommendation I picked up some Danko seeds from Tatiana. I just got around trying them this Fall and have been amazed at the number of blossoms they are forming. I counted a couple of what appeared to be representative trusses and calculated an estimate of about 500 to 600 per plant. Probably about 100 on each plant have opened. I counted 43 blossoms on one truss and 49 on another and that seems like a multi-flora blossom set to me, particularly for the 6-10 oz hearts that Danko is said to produce. Danko also set the first fruit of the season, the second to set fruit was Porter and I expect that to be the first fruit to ripen. These have the potential to be the earliest and most productive plants I have ever grown, or a seed mix up. What has your experience with Danko been?

Sounds exactly like Danko I am growing. Reminds me of pictures I have seen of Multi Flora. They don't all set of course but it is pretty. I still have plenty of Danko tomatoes on the the 2 plants I have.

Danko is early for me and sets lots of tomatoes at once. And the size of some of them is what surprised me. Although I have never weighed a tomato I think some had to be around a pound or so.

The good news is they set early and had plenty of tomatoes on them and although the plant is still alive and lots of tomatoes still on the vine getting ripe, It seems very susceptible to Septoria. The only other Russian tomato i planted was Heartbreaker and I pulled that up without a ripe tomato. Maybe these heart tomatoes do not take disease as well as most tomatoes casue all the other tomatoes had it and dealt with it and produced fine although they were late this year. Just got the first ripe Earl's Faux yesterday. Yummy as always
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

No, Danko is not a multiflora and yes,it is one of my favorite tomato varieties.

I can't bring up a page for it from Tania's data base, she still doesn't have the pole to
get transmission to her new place,it isn't listed in the Heirloom tomato book I was asked to write.

So I went to my 2017 SSE Annual Yearbook and there are 3 people listing it and all describe it the same way.

Det,RL,well I'm not going to copy everything, but it was first listed by Andrey from Belarus, he is 1/3 listing it it is not an heirloom variety,but a CV,commercial variety, developed by the Siberian Research Institute.

NK from NYS says essentially the same wihout the history

BM from Wisconsin says about the same and says his source of seeds was from me.

Which indicates that I had offered it in perhaps several seed offers years ago.And yes I'm pretty sure that Andrey was my initial source of seeds.

If anyone needs more info I can go back and note stuff like size,and yes,they are hearts, midseason, etc.

Carolyn
Old August 15, 2018   #4
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

No, it is definitely not a Multi Flora but it sure looks like one. Mine grew exactly like Blindhog described his. I know I had the right one cause I got it directly from the Kremlin.

Olga must be sold out of Danko cause it wasn't listed on her site either. But I did come across a new interesting variety I might try

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tomato-Sibe...MAAOSwdzVXnNOB
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018   #5
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for the replies, Glad to know my Dankos are behaving as they should. I am looking forward to tasting them.
Carolyn
Thank you for the recommendation.
Mike
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote