Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old October 10, 2018   #7741
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Pork loin with no flavor - your kidding me right? Find someone to buy hog from that raises them on dirt! Doesn't taste remotely like the stuff you buy in the store.
99.9% of the time it is way over cooked.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #7742
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I had the butcher cut a rack of ribs across the slab, we do that to make Jambalaya, browned them with onions and mushrooms to make a gravy. Butter beans, collards and some boiled baby okra from the yard. Both sauces worked great with this meal, I could use the "Clearly Guilty" sauce as a dip for the okra and it worked for the greens too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2972.JPG (317.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2973.JPG (368.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2975.JPG (293.6 KB, 55 views)
Old October 10, 2018   #7743
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Pork loin with no flavor - your kidding me right? Find someone to buy hog from that raises them on dirt! Doesn't taste remotely like the stuff you buy in the store.

I agree. I don't have access to farm raised pork. If it doesn't come from I grocery store, I have a hard time finding it. I've eaten a lot of feral hog loin that I hunted myself. Those hogs were eating acorns in the fall. Rich and flavorful meat. I especially like medallions of wild boar which are small cuts of the loin. I normally wouldn't eat anything from a boar except the loin. The boars had so much hormone in the their systems it made the meat stink but the loin didn't seem to have all the hormones in it.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2018   #7744
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

I've never seen the Clearly Guilty sauce. Is it Louisiana bottled? In my mind, the very best hot sauces are bottled in Louisiana from peppers grown in Louisiana. I stopped using Tabasco sauce when the Mcelhaney family had to start contracting with farmers to grow their peppers in Mexico and other places. They ran out of room on Avery Island to grow more peppers themselves.

Last edited by DonDuck; October 10, 2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old October 11, 2018   #7745
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Rajun,

I've never seen the Clearly Guilty sauce. Is it Louisiana bottled? In my mind, the very best hot sauces are bottled in Louisiana from peppers grown in Louisiana. I stopped using Tabasco sauce when the Mcelhaney family had to start contracting with farmers to grow their peppers in Mexico and other places. They ran out of room on Avery Island to grow more peppers themselves.
P.O. Box 72173
North Charleston, S.C. 29415

(843) 580-8993

I stopped buying hot sauce all together.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 11, 2018 at 07:35 AM.
Old October 11, 2018   #7746
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

i have a huge crop of Habanero and Trinidad Scorpion peppers this fall. My jalapeno's have produced all summer, but the hotter peppers haven't produced anything all summer. Now they are huge, beautiful; plants and loaded with peppers.

My SIL harvests the peppers and takes them to his employees on Monday mornings. He has a lot of east Indian employees who grew up eating hot peppers in everything. They have been waiting for the scorpions to produce and mature. My SIL asked how the scorpions tasted. They said they couldn't taste them because they are so hot they seem to have no taste. One guy said it is the first time in his married life, his wife couldn't eat a whole pepper. I may make some pepper sauce myself. I grow them, but I'm not stupid enough to actually eat one.

I made some Habanero and bacon corn bread the other night. It had five or six fresh habeneros, chopped fine in it. It is delicious.

Last edited by DonDuck; October 11, 2018 at 10:40 AM.
Old October 11, 2018   #7747
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

BRRRRRRR it was 63 this morning!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43505721_2268209093466824_5644859969351188480_n.jpg (69.6 KB, 41 views)
Old October 11, 2018   #7748
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
99.9% of the time it is way over cooked.
My wife is of the age that she is still afraid of trichinosis. I have to cook all pork well done or she won't eat it. She will eat ribs off the grill while they still are juicy, but not chops, shoulder; or loin. Sometimes I will have her cut the portion she wants and cook it some more.
Old October 11, 2018   #7749
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I like my meat "falling-apart tender." You can't get that without a long cook time.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #7750
bower
Tomatovillian™

If compared to wild game any other meat is (relatively) low in taste, although for sure you will have tastier cuts from your own vs factory farmed, for sure.

I have no problem with chicken breast either, nor with the pork loin.

The steaks cut from the pork loin we get here, have just the right amount of fat around the edge to give it a bite of yummy. I like to cook the steaks in the frying pan with lots of onions. I smear a bit of rasped garlic and black pepper on the first side up, then when I flip it it gets a good smear of garlic and some minced hot peppers on the cooked side, onions piled on top until done, salt and serve. Plenty tasty to me. Rosemary is another thing, fresh minced rosemary on a pork steak as you're finishing it. And another great trick for seasoning pork is sesame oil. Gives it a really nice smoky taste. Of course garlic with everything here, I am a total garlic head.

As for chicken breast, I even like the boneless skinless chicken breast!! which goes on bulk pack special here now and again. It is perfect to cook marinated and serve warm or cold. Lemon and cayenne is my favorite, but we had great results with a red wine vinegar/oregano/garlic type marinade as well. It is a convenience food for me , very tender, and it tastes like... the marinade.
I guess the point is that these delicate flavored meats also take up seasonings really well, so you can make them as tasty as you like. Worth is 100% right, just don't overcook because it ruins the texture and worst of all, will destroy your last minute seasonings too.

I just scored another pork loin couple days ago. Not the anaconda though, a "half loin" piece which is shorter but plenty big around. $1.78 a pound is a win for me.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #7751
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
BRRRRRRR it was 63 this morning!!!!

Rajun I saw this message earlier today and if you were listening you may have heard me cursing and swearing awaaaay up north as I would pay money for a 63 F day right about now. This morning we were barely above freezing, and the windchill, well below ! And the weather man was using the f-word. (flurries..shhhh don't say out loud).
Just hoping to get a day above 50 F to plant the garlic in "comfort".
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #7752
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Trichinella spiralis

Little known facts look at the freezing times in particular.

Later I will explain how I cook pork loin and not worry about it.

Worth
Old October 11, 2018   #7753
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Two oven baked thighs spinach and beets.
Pickles didn't show up in time for photo shoot.
Worth
IMG_20181011_47718.jpg
Old October 11, 2018   #7754
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Tonight was going to be about a leftover half a chicken pot pie, until said half-pie ended up on the floor. Dinner became macaroni in a little beef bouillon, with butter and salt.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2018   #7755
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I'm with Worth and Bower, you can't over cook loin. My preference is dark meat pork but I've had good loin too that was juicy. Spices and herbs make all the difference, prep helps too.

Bower, I loved that post and didn't realize it's that cold. I'm sorry the temps are that low already. Me being me, I would move.

The gumbo was good!! Chicken, smoked sausage, my green onion sausage, gizzards and smothered okra. I topped it with file, pickled mirlitons and my smoked Ghost pepper salt. BUT-I slacked big time, I didn't have eggs for potato salad. The smoked salt was a great addition, it worked perfect!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2979.JPG (286.7 KB, 26 views)