Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 6, 2012   #1
jlwalke12
Tomatovillian™

Default Front yard plant sale.

Im having my first plant sale in my front yard as we speak. A lot of people have garage sales so I thought why not a plant sale. The varieties I have are Neves Azorean Red, Charlie's Green,Black Crimson,Big orange,Caspian Pink, Tiny Tim,Cuostralee and a few Celebrity Hybrids. The only advertising I did was 2 signs in the neighborhood and 1 in my yard. So far Ive sold 27 plants. It's been kind of slow but I have all day tomorrow as well. I have 2 sizes. The small ones are $2 and the bigger one is $4. I had one customer tell me my prices are much better compared to Lowe's which is just a mile or so away. So far nobody knows much about heirlooms but are willing to try them. A couple of people who had never heard of heirlooms ask me to choose a varietie of plants for them. Anyway so far it's been fun.
jlwalke12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #2
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! Pays for the potting soil, right?

I mostly give my plants away but sometimes I sell a few to pay for the potting soil.
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2012   #3
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Sounds cool congrats!
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Have you thought about putting it on Craigslist?

I've seen a couple of listings on it for plants in my area, but don't know what kind of response they get. Claud
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #5
NisiNJ
Tomatovillian™

Craigslist is great. You can list the varieties you have, upload a picture of your beautiful plants, and give directions to your sale--all for free. People around my neighborhood will also staple poster board signs to telephone poles on the nearest busy road pointing the way to your street. (Make sure you write BIG)

If you start doing this every year you'll get repeat customers. As you say, it's fun...and half the fun is talking to the people.
NisiNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #6
cviskozki
Tomatovillian™

Would you happen to have any Sun Sugar plants? I've been looking all over for them for myself and my Dad, and no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in the Midlothian area and Dad lives in Grand Prairie.
cviskozki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #7
jlwalke12
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the advice. I'm on my second day of the sale and I was expecting to get more customers but last night real late I went to check on one of my signs in the neighborhood and one was gone. That's pretty frustrating when you only had 2 to begin with. Im not sure why it was taken unless it was just some kid. I have seen people put signs in almost the exact same place before so I don't think it was illegal to put it there.
Old April 7, 2012   #8
jlwalke12
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any and I haven't heard of any nurseries that carry them around here (Garland, Rowlett) either. I have seen them in seed catalogs though.
Old August 4, 2012   #9
Fatal_Franklin
Tomatovillian™

Something to consider....and I'm offering this as food for thought and not trying to rain on your idea....

I did a front yard thing based on the same idea.."people have yard sales...". The city zoning inspector shut me down quicker than I could blink.

A customer that would shop at a nursery that I worked at had the same idea...different town. They would come to the greenhouses at the end of the year sale time and buy anything that looked like it needed to be divided....then they would divide it and sell it on a long memorial weekend the following year. They were shut down by the state agricultural inspection people. They had not applied for and obtained the correct paperwork to certify as propagaters. They decided to obtain the correct liscence on a yearly basis, and now they do a $10,000.00 weekend just in plants.

Have fun and good luck...but know thine regulator!
Fatal_Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote