Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2014   #1
jeffma
Tomatovillian™

Default What time of day to water?

Is there a preference of early morning vs evening watering of tomatoes? I use drip irrigation and pine mulch in my raised beds.
jeffma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

When they look thirsty -seriously, for example after a very hot day.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

When i grew everything in containers I drip irrigated at 7 am. Watering in the morning allows for the main stem to dry quickly. If you water in the evening you run the risk of your plants possibly getting a soil born disease from being wet all night.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

It is more a time not to water in my opinion. I would avoid watering just before dark all the way through near sunrise. If your watering system has any potential for splashing on the leaves and that happens at night, the leaves will stay wet all night and disease onset will be swift and unrelenting! If you don't have that issue such as with drip irrigation, then watering as needed is effective.

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Actually I found that during the long drought we sustained here in the Southeast it worked better to water thoroughly late in the evening so the plants had time to absorb the water and recover from the long dry hot days. That also allows the water to be absorbed deeply into the ground. I always have a heavy mulch under my plants so splash back is not a problem. If you don't mulch then I would try to water early in the morning.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The best time to water is when you can get natural rain in that area of the country - which means about anytime. I would only avoid watering in a manner that will get the foliage wet, when the sun will return and start "teaming the veggies" before that foliage can dry. Plants that are obviously in distress may need water just to cool them off.

So, listen to your plants. I promise that if you listen correctly, they will tell you what they need and when they need it.

The movie "Caddyshack" coined the phrase "Be the Ball". This is truly a case of "Be the Plant". LOL
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
The best time to water is when you can get natural rain in that area of the country - which means about anytime. I would only avoid watering in a manner that will get the foliage wet, when the sun will return and start "teaming the veggies" before that foliage can dry. Plants that are obviously in distress may need water just to cool them off.

So, listen to your plants. I promise that if you listen correctly, they will tell you what they need and when they need it.

The movie "Caddyshack" coined the phrase "Be the Ball". This is truly a case of "Be the Plant". LOL
Ted, that is exactly the way to decide when and how much fertilizer to apply. I use mostly Texas Tomato Food applied with an Ortho dial sprayer where the dilution rate can be changed in a second. I just walk along applying the fertilizer under the plants and try to gauge what each plant needs as I go.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #8
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

heir alluded to the issue of the plants drying quickly after watering. That is spot on. Fungal issues with tomatoes are common. I noticed when I re-located my garden to include morning sun...my results were: no disease issues.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

I try to water late morning, due to the advice given here:
http://ag.arizona.edu/ceac/sites/ag....20tomatoes.pdf
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #10
Moshou
Tomatovillian™

My experience says the best time to water is early in the morning
Drip irrigation allows you to water until 10-11 am.
Old May 4, 2014   #11
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I do both on containers when it's hot. I'm actually trying to increase humidity around my plants to ward off spider mites and improve fruit set!
Keep in mind, though, our dew point is way below the night time lows. I've never seen dew in AZ. Maybe a little during the winter if we have rainy weather. (Rare)
This winter was dry and now, we have humidity in the low single digits, I think. I've seen it down to 3%.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote