Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 30, 2009   #1
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Wilt maybe

I have a big problem with my tomatoes, I am losing plants and I think from the description in my pests and diseases book it's a wilt of some sort. My dilemna is working out how its all gone so wrong, I'm sure it wasnt anything in the soil as the garden my toms are in this year was lawn last year, I covered it with newspaper then layers my own semi-rotted compost, lime, peastraw pellets, dynamic lifter (a commercially prepared organic blend of blood and bone, sheep pellets, mushroom compost, seaweed etc) and lots of commercially prepared compost, i let all that settle for a month or so before planting into it. The seeds were purchased online from a private seller, not commercial seed and I understand these diseases can be passed on through seed. I can see how as my fruit on the toms is lovely but I dare not keep the seed if thats the case. Attached are some photos of my sad dying plants. Can I have help confirming ID of disease and suggestions for prevention.

Last edited by Di Taylor; November 17, 2010 at 03:36 AM.
Di Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2009   #2
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Just looking in my book again, I'm pretty sure it's bacterial canker, am going to try and get some copper hydroxide and save the last remaining plants, but would love any thoughts on where I have gone wrong...
Old January 31, 2009   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I am sorry you had not gotten any kind of reply yet. I would have answered but I wasn't sure. new to all this stuff. All I know when something is wrong with plants mine die.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #4
hasshoes
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure (totally not an expert), but I believe canker is usually soil borne ? What do your tomatoes look like?

If you're not already removing the infected leaves you need to start doing that. Good luck.
Old January 31, 2009   #5
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Yes either soil born or from infected seeds, the whole area where they are planted is new as I described so I think I would be unlucky for it to be that, I have about third of my 15 or so plants affected so far. Now I know why I always grow cherry tomatoes only they dont seem to die, ever since I started trying to get confirmation of what this is all I am hearing is stories of what normally kills other peoples tomatoes at most other things in the garden are going better I sprayed with copper yesterday as my pests and diseases recommended that for canker, and it's a products I feel relatively safe using when I am not sure what I am dealing with, needed some for my not fruiting stone fruit that have had leaf curl anyhow.....we will see. The tomatoes by the way look, great we are eating them from plants that have over last few days collapsed, only disappointment in pink brandy wine which is red not pink and not how is should look, very very ridged.
Old January 31, 2009   #6
dice
Tomatovillian™

According to this page, bacterial canker shows symptoms in the
stems:
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne..._Bacterial.htm

You could slice into some of the stems on the infected plants
and take a look. Looking at the way the stem is curled over
in that second photo, it does look as if something is interfering
with the plants vascular system, and water is not getting to the
upper part of the stem.

Stem borers can have similar symptoms. Inspect the lower
parts of the stems on the damaged plants and see if you can
see any little holes where a little caterpillar might have bored
into it.
Old February 1, 2009   #7
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

If it is tomato borer, look at the base of the plant and you should find a green frass (worm poop). That one stem looks like it might be hollow? Never heard of them until two years ago when several of my plants went limp - piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2009   #8
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Yes when you open them up there are cavities in the stem, another symptom. I am pretty sure now it is canker as the one symptom I didnt have which was distinctive splash marks on the fruit skins, (they start white then turn to brown in the middle with white ring around edge), they now fit the picture perfectly for canker...I have done as my book suggested and sprayed with copper, I hate spraying but my tomato season will have lasted all of a fortnight if I lose them all now, that is way way too short.
Old February 2, 2009   #9
Di Taylor
Tomatovillian™

Oh by the way dice, great site to keep a note of vegetablemd it was a great link which I am going to bookmark....thanks heaps