Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 30, 2009   #1
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default snow white died

Hey I have posted about my plant in my journal and was wondering if those that don't normally view it to look at the last set of pics and say what you think. It did not look like it had mildew on it. no leaf issues. The entire plant wilted from beautiful in the am to laying limp on the ground in the evening. I will pull it this am and check out the roots and post pics. I just havent had one die so quickly before. It set fruit the day before and during that day. I am going to put it in the trash to dispose of it.
Kat
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...111#post129111

Last edited by newatthiskat; April 30, 2009 at 05:47 AM. Reason: added info
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2009   #2
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Kat, did you look at the stem where it comes out of the soil and notice any shrunken brown damage?

I have one slightly shadier spot in my garden that seems to harbor some kind of fungus that causes an adult form of damping off in plants that have made good progress for several weeks after planting out. It will cause a nice thick 3/4" stem to gradually shrivel and look woody. Sometimes the plant looks normal in the morning, but has wilted after being in the sun all day. You don't notice the damage, because the plant looks healthy in every way until you check right at ground level on the stem. Here's what it looked like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sblight1-1.jpg (163.2 KB, 35 views)
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009   #3
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

There was nothing like that on the plant that I noticed. The entire stem was intact. There was no discoloring of the plant anywhere execpt the dark healthy green became a paler shade and it was wilted all over the plant and laying limp on it's side. Could find no evidence of boring type issues. I am scared to look at the garden but hopfully I can get out there in the am when I get home from work and decide what to do with it and check all the others.
Kat
Old May 11, 2009   #4
RonnyWil
Tomatovillian™

Did you try lightly pulling on the plant? If it comes out of the ground and the roots are gone, it could be a vole. I have a problem with voles and they eat the roots and the plant wilts. The stem will still be in the ground but everything else is chewed away. There is usually a hole about the size of a quarter where the stem comes out of the ground and then an empty space in the ground under that about the size of a baseball.
Old May 12, 2009   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

...and how are the dwarves coping?

(Ducking and running.
Sorry -- I don't have anything useful to add, that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the title.)
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2009   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

That is exactly what I thought after I posted the title habitat_gardener.
I did an autopsy on the plant and made one observation. I believe the wind snapped it just below dirt level. It did not appear to have any fungal issues or animal issues. Plant looked great until it fell over limp. The plant had amputated itself from the rootball. Total amputation. We had a ton of wind that day and I think it just couldn't take it.
Kat