Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 25, 2017   #76
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

what is EVOO? I have heard of it a couple times but I have no idea what it is... but if it has onions in it its off the list.

I was wondering more of your pans of tomatoey stuff with the cubed eggplant I saw.
Old September 25, 2017   #77
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

EVOO = Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #78
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

ahhh, silly me I thought it was some exotic spice fermented... ....stuff.
pretty sure I am not the only one to not know either. glad my ignorance helps someone else out.
Old September 25, 2017   #79
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Taboule what is your altitude.
Worth
Worth, Not sure of the numbers, and I bet (hope?) it's safe to reveal here -no stalkers or other fun types I assume ;-)

Just moved to Stow, Mass, about ~30 miles due west of Boston. Was previously in Wakefield, MA, 14 miles due north of Beantown (I've kept a garden there, at least for now.)
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #80
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

just google your address and elevation it will pop right up. mine said I was at 1100 feet but I have no idea if that is road elevation or the highest point of our property... which is another 100' higher than the road.
Old September 25, 2017   #81
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

231 feet above sea level.
Just wanting to see how hot the canner was at 15 psi that is all
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017   #82
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Sorry. I read/thought "latitude" and was wondering

long day, i'll try one more

3) This may be the simplest/easiest actually (and tastiest) if you can have a helper do the last/most uninteresting step -for me at least.

Puncture a few holes in EP and grill on high heat, turning 2x~3x. Remove once skin is burned and liquid oozing all over. Let rest to cool in a SS bowl, SAVING THE JUICES.

When cool, recruit a willing and able volunteer to peel off the charred skin, keeping everything tidy and separated.

When even cooler, slice up in coarse chunks, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with EVOO, and savor with pita bread.

Reward volunteer with an ice-cold brewsky or beverage of choice.

Did I mention I love eggplant?

tbc...
Old September 25, 2017   #83
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I noticed this >> but if it has onions in it its off the list.

That was my feeble attempt to get more mileage/yield off my few EP. Original recipe does not have/need onions, but it does contain garlic. It is tastier that my modified concoction. Are you allergic to that too -garlic?

I'll get back to that recipe tomorrow, running out of energy right now.

Last edited by taboule; September 25, 2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: to remove flagged word
Old September 25, 2017   #84
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Worth, Not sure of the numbers, and I bet (hope?) it's safe to reveal here -no stalkers or other fun types I assume ;-)

Just moved to Stow, Mass, about ~30 miles due west of Boston. Was previously in Wakefield, MA, 14 miles due north of Beantown (I've kept a garden there, at least for now.)

Welcome to the Nashoba Valley! And no, I'm not a crazy stalker ;-)
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #85
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Father'sDaughter, much nicer around here than the Rt 128 zoo.

Recipe # 4, starts as #3. Once eggplant is peeled and cooled (save juices), slice crosswise 2~3 times (to shorten the longitudinal fibers that run end-to-end) then mash coarsely with a fork, just to eliminate the bigger chunks. EP should be well-cooked and soft. Do not use a blender or food processor, we're not making puree here or baby food.

Assuming 1.5~2# of EP, mix in 2~3 TBSP of Tahini/sesame sauce (from middle eastern stores, stir/mix jar well before using) Don't overdo it, that stuff is stiff and gooey and will make the end product come out too thick. You want to taste the EG, not have it overpowered by the tahini.

Add 1/3 cup or so of fresh lemon juice, and 4++ thoroughly mashed garlic cloves -to taste. Salt to taste (~1/2 tspn) mix, adding some of the saved juices to get a soft dip. Pour in salad bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and plenty of EVOO. Enjoy with pita bread.

The smokiness from grilling and charring the skin (which we discard) gives these recipes an amazing flavor and smell.

That was Baba Ghannouj, in Arabic "Cuddly Daddy."

Last edited by taboule; September 26, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old September 26, 2017   #86
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Not sure if I should put this here or the gripes zone. Ridiculous!
15064296669371438293365.jpg

Last edited by clkeiper; September 26, 2017 at 09:03 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #87
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

For making eggplant parm I abandoned all of the messy frying techniques and switched to the microwave. I just peel the eggplant, slice into 1/4" slices, baste both sides with EVOO, layer 2-3 deep on a large platter and microwave on high until soft (usually 10-20 minutes depending on the quantity). This method is not only faster and cleaner, but allows real eggplant flavor to come through as opposed to the fried oil taste from frying. This then gets layered in a casserole dish with the usual selection of cheeses, tomato sauce, and sliced sweet Italian sausage.

For a BBQ side dish I slice unpeeled eggplant into 1/2" slices, again baste both sides with EVOO, sprinkle with curry and grill them. This is repeated with sliced onions and whole mushrooms (tossed in a bag with the EVOO and curry) and grilled as well. The three grilled veggies are then mixed and chopped into a vegetable medley. Goes over very well at summer BBQs.

TomNJ/VA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #88
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wonderful sounding.. now to try them. DH is intolerant to onions and sensitive to garlic. makes it hard to eat other peoples cooking. I have to modify all recipes... sigh. trust me it isn't a choice.
Old September 26, 2017   #89
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Thanks Father'sDaughter, much nicer around here than the Rt 128 zoo.

Recipe # 4, starts as #3. Once eggplant is peeled and cooled (save juices), slice crosswise 2~3 times (to shorten the longitudinal fibers that run end-to-end) then mash coarsely with a fork, just to eliminate the bigger chunks. EP should be well-cooked and soft. Do not use a blender or food processor, we're not making puree here or baby food.

Assuming 1.5~2# of EP, mix in 2~3 TBSP of Tahini/sesame sauce (from middle eastern stores, stir/mix jar well before using) Don't overdo it, that stuff is stiff and gooey and will make the end product come out too thick. You want to taste the EG, not have it overpowered by the tahini.

Add 1/3 or so of fresh lemon juice, and 4++ thoroughly mashed garlic cloves -to taste. Salt to taste (~1/2 tspn) mix, adding some of the saved juices to get a soft dip. Pour in salad bowl, sprinkle with chopped parsley and plenty of EVOO. Enjoy with pita bread.

The smokiness from grilling and charring the skin (which we discard) gives these recipes an amazing flavor and smell. and 4 raw crushed not roasted cloves

That was Baba Ghannouj, in Arabic "Cuddly Daddy."
is this 1/3 cup or 1/3 of a lemon...which doesn't sound like much.

Last edited by clkeiper; September 26, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #90
taboule
Tomatovillian™

1/3 cup, corrected in post above. Thanks.