Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 1, 2015   #16
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

luigiwu .. do you have a thread somewhere describing your rain gutter planter? I am thinking of creating a raingutter section around the edge of my deck for chards, kale and lettuce (so the soil depth can be less than a foot)
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #17
dan0000
Tomatovillian™

Larry Hall has a youtube channel for his RGGS:
https://www.youtube.com/user/larrylhall

Lots of good stuff there.
dan0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #18
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnkrer View Post
luigiwu .. do you have a thread somewhere describing your rain gutter planter? I am thinking of creating a raingutter section around the edge of my deck for chards, kale and lettuce (so the soil depth can be less than a foot)
Hi Tnkrer, I forget if I do or not but here's what I did:

I bascially made a frame out of wood with middle supports/bracing. I then rolled out hardware cloth and then cut weed fabric of the same size. I stapled the hardware cloth with the weed fabric facing inside of the raised bed, along the sides of the initial wood frame. I marked out my net cup spacing, probably every 12 inches, traced the net cup and with tin snips, cut out the circle of the hardware cloth (and the weed fabric.) It allows "air-pruning" which is how you can grow in not a lot of depth. I had HUGE kale and broccolo spigarello growing in this raised bed rggs too!

The whole thing sits over a typical rggs gutter rig (in my case, I used a 4-inch pvc pipe - buy the drain pipes, much much cheaper) that is supported by a wood frame, with the net cups dipping into the pvc aka "gutter."

Bottom: the bottom view of a typical rggs "rig" - typically a wood frame to support a water trough for sub-irrigation (either pvc pipe or gutter)

Bottom: the rig turned right side up again.

Bottom: and perhaps a better picture that shows how the weed fabric with the hardware cloth is stapled to the raised bed frame (to hold the soil)

Last edited by luigiwu; April 10, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2015   #19
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks luigiwu.
I have more questions, however
If you start a new thread that describes your build, I think it will help more people
and
I dont want to highjack OP's thread.

Could you please start a new one?

Thanks
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote