Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old September 30, 2017   #61
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My first mums made it to market today. One of my purple varieties was the first to bloom. The Mantauk Daisy is the other pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20170930_0759422222222222221.jpg (517.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20170930_080023.222222222222jpg.jpg (512.9 KB, 120 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2017   #62
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default greenhouse pics

pics from today.
Old October 6, 2017   #63
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Gorgeous! You should sell a bunch.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6, 2017   #64
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I wish I had labelled them. I think the purple one in the pics is Padre Cerise (pics on page 1 of this thread) but I am not 100% positive. It is blooming 2-3 weeks ahead of the other varieties. I have two types of "pot mum" as well. The pic above of the single flower is one of them. The other one has blooms that look a month away from opening. I did not realize the different varieties of mums would take such varying amounts of time to bloom.
Old October 6, 2017   #65
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ooo la la! Your plants are beautiful. They ought to be a big hit.
Old October 6, 2017   #66
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah they look great and way better than the mums I'm seeing around here. Every grocery chain, hardware store, you name it has potted mums lined up outside the door. For sure they are shipped in from some major enterprise on the mainland. And they are not well cared for in the way yours are, it shows.

So I hope you are taking some market share from the faceless enterprises that mass produce mums!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2017   #67
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, both of you, and yeah, Bower, the market for mums this year is ridiculous. They are at every store, it seems. Mine are $5 at market, which is unfortunately low, but that's what it takes to sell as many as I have.

I had one potential customer get talked out of buying by another woman who was with her. As they walked away, I heard one of them say "well they are $3.95 at Wal-Mart." My plants are in bigger pots and have about another month left on the time-release Osmocote that is in the media, which in my mind makes them higher quality, but even that aside, I am happy to be able to come within a dollar of Wal-Mart's price, given that their resources are just a touch greater than my own.
Old October 10, 2017   #68
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Pot Mums:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20171010_152340222222222222.jpg (338.5 KB, 75 views)
Old October 10, 2017   #69
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I never buy plants from box stores. growth retarded, pesticide ridden and yet STILL often infested and diseased garbage from mega producers is all you will ever find at Wallmart.
Much rather support local growers like yourself. People will drive across town to save a few cents on mass produced garbage. Defies logic.
Your plants look great.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #70
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

What is the difference between pot mums and regular mums in pots?

I bought a few nice ones from a Chinese grocery store, striped petals with green centers.$ 6.99-9.99. each. I consider this price reasonable considering the amount of work growing those plants.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #71
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Karen.

The pot mums are both much taller, with a longer length of stem between nodes. The other mums grow in a dense, spherical shape. I am guessing that the pot mums are not nearly as cold-hardy. They make a big, pretty plant, though, especially if I can get them to grow in a uniform shape. Some of them lean in one direction or the other.
Old October 10, 2017   #72
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I think I know what you mean now.
Does early aggressive pinching helps to tame them (pot mums), as a way of shortening the hard stems? Then you'll get smaller flowers.

Unrelated, Chinese has a tradition of grafting chrysanthemums. I remember years ago seeing a magnificent piece of 10,000 blooms on a display in a hotel lobby. If you want to play around with grafting. Here are some examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Juhua.jpg (16.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg juhua2.jpg (8.5 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by NewWestGardener; October 10, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2017   #73
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Thanks, Karen.

The pot mums are both much taller, with a longer length of stem between nodes. The other mums grow in a dense, spherical shape. I am guessing that the pot mums are not nearly as cold-hardy. They make a big, pretty plant, though, especially if I can get them to grow in a uniform shape. Some of them lean in one direction or the other.

When I used to plant mum cuttings they would often arrive already bent one way or another. We had to make sure we planted them all curving into the pot so that they would grow a nicely shaped pot of mums. Usually 4 cuttings to a 6" pot. They were also sprayed later on with a growth regulator ( B nine) to keep them short.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017   #74
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Thank you. Those grafts to trees are very impressive.

According to the company who sold me the cuttings, the varieties I bought were not supposed to need pinching or growth regulators. I am too new to mums to know for sure if that is true.

Here's two more pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20171018_14132922222222222222222222.jpg (532.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20171018_1708532222222222.jpg (551.1 KB, 45 views)
Old October 19, 2017   #75
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Your plants look great.
If they sit in a pot nicely without flopping out and keep their shape that's all you can ask for. They are a bread and butter crop for the greenhouse industry, ever popular.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote