Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 28, 2012   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraltomatoes View Post
Best price, quality and service I have found on the West Coast. http://www.mcconkeyco.com/
That's a good mention. McConkey is a lot like Hummert, which is in Missouri. I would definitely order from McConkey if I lived on the West Coast. Shipping is cheaper when you order from someone closer.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #17
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

http://www.mortonproducts.com/

Reasonable prices and located near enough that I can drive to pick up large orders. As noted above, shipping is the issue, if you can keep it close, then best to do so.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #18
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

http://www.griffins.com/publications/catalog.asp
Great selection here
Old December 29, 2012   #19
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

This thread and the addition of so many new people has caused me to wonder whether the site could use a new section of local sources by country/zone/metro area. For example if you're looking for a local source of Actinovate or something less shipping friendly (like rabbit manure.)

I know the gatherings area has some geographic breakouts, and one of the lovely things about this site is how global it is... but it might be beneficial to have a few areas where someone can ask where to get coconut coir in your state.

I've started searching for a group of gardeners in my city, just to get other specific feedback and share ideas. There is something through Meetup, but it's a little broader than gardening, it's organic, sustainable living, etc. Also my county extension does offer some classes and such; I hope to attend some.

This was also prompted by finding a Craigslist post for llama poo out in Brevard County (FL). Must admit I'm interested!
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2012   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feraltomatoes View Post
Best price, quality and service I have found on the West Coast. http://www.mcconkeyco.com/
Brad- That's a seriously great avatar. Maybe the most original one I have seen , IMHO.
-Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2013   #21
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

I know this is out of date, but I thought I might add my 2 cents. I got oodles of pots trays and flats from a local nursery for free! They had a recycle bin there for them and I just went in and asked if I could have some. They said take all you want. You may want to check with some of your local nursery's , You just might get lucky like I did. Stock up now.
Old July 4, 2013   #22
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I thought I got a good deal with coordinated 4" pots and trays here. If I am a sucker, I'd appreciate knowing it.
http://www.harrisseeds.com/?_cr=ppc|...FeZDMgodWAMA8g
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2014   #23
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

They have Agways in texas and they sale the seed flats for $1.00. I also like there bulk seeds like sugar peas by the 8 ounce container!
Old January 29, 2014   #24
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have purchased from Harris Seeds several times and they have been the least expensive when cost plus shipping is figured. If you can pick up supplies without shipping the pots may be cheaper. For me Harris is cheapest with very good quality.
Old February 24, 2014   #25
Goldie321
Tomatovillian™

Check to see if your local Lowes has a 'loaner' bin for trays and those black pots. Ours does. It's run on the honor system - borrow what you need and please return when done so others can use them.

Rural King has cheap trays (dollar and change each and a good size). They are only in certain parts of the USA though - Florida just got its first two stores. If you have one, check out their prices. Better than Walmart in most cases. They also ship. http://www.ruralking.com/

Last edited by Goldie321; February 24, 2014 at 09:57 AM.
Goldie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2014   #26
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This year greenhouse megestore mentioned by others has been the best priced supplier for me.
Old February 24, 2014   #27
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

i just bought from here... $0.05 per pot before shipping

http://mcconkeyco.com/collections/sq...ech-square-pot

http://mcconkeyco.com/collections/10...dard-mesh-flat
Old March 6, 2014   #28
2thumbs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Well, the technique is out of favor with the advent of plastics, and many here will jump all over me for even suggesting it. However, you certainly can start and pot loads of seeds cheap, cheap, cheap.

Just make home made paper pots. You do it by wrapping a layer of newspaper around a cup or can and "molding" the bottom. It is surprisingly easy once you get the knack of it.

Paper pots

They even have a paper pot maker at Burpee in North America or seedaholic if you are in Europe. Sorry I don't know who might make them down under.
I used paper pots but now they are all covered with white mold. Any suggestions?

2thumbs
2thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #29
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Planter pots

If you want something cheap and easy to work with I suggest the 8.5 ounce Styrofoam cups that are about 2 cents each. You can put a needle hole a half inch from the bottom for drainage but still have a half inch of water kept in the bottom!

They are easy to take your plants out when ready to trans plant and even use over. The white reflects light back to the leaves and makes stronger growth! I plan on using a lot of them this year. You can buy 51 for a little over a 100 at the dollar stores!
Old March 10, 2014   #30
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default pots paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thumbs View Post
I used paper pots but now they are all covered with white mold. Any suggestions?

2thumbs
Air movement will stop that so a small fan is what you need!