Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 17, 2014   #1
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cheapskate watering system

I don't have near as many self watering containers as Raybo, but even 23 was taking too much time, especially as they were located in three different areas.
For two weeks we monitored and measured how much water each of the 3 areas and planters were needing per container.
We then set up the drip system so that the 5 gallon SIPS buckets got the amount of water they needed in 30 minutes. We did the same thing for the large earthtainers and then for the smaller ones. We drilled a hole in the supply tube and inserted the 1/4 in. line so that there was no way it can get pulled out by the dogs or the children. We set it to run everyday, and have only had to adjust the larger earthtainers as the plants are getting larger and obviously using more water.
After four weeks I can say they are doing great, we check every third day to make sure that they are draining correctly, as we have been hovering right around 100°plus or minus for the last two weeks with winds gusting to 30 miles per hour, which means they evaporate more quickly than usual.
We are in high desert and are used to a very low humidity level, maybe 18 to 20 percent in the mornings, but down to 6 for the afternoons, so everyone is whining about these 33% humidity levels, but my sister put me in my place and reminded me that the in Virginia where she lives 85 and 95% humidity is common. Point taken.
I would love to have an automatic system like Raybo, but so far I am very happy with my cheapskate version. It's a day to celebrate, no new fires from lightning and the smoke from the nearest fire is much better. Very scary summer as everything is extremely dry and we already have 18 to 20 deer hovering around outside the fence just waiting for the dogs to be in the house. And not just in the evenings and mornings but all day long, they are just so hungry. The other day there were 4 deer eating right next to the horses which did not make the horses very happy. After all it was their hay and they did not plan on sharing. Joan
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2014   #2
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear from you Joan! Your watering system sounds great! And, if it works why mess with it?

Don't you just love the thunderstorms EVERY afternoon?
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote