Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old June 17, 2015   #16
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Great stories, very funny Holly!!!!
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am looking at the pictures in great admiration.
It still reminds me of Easter Island.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #18
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Ah, the notorious Quailz gang. I know them well. Various plants in my yard are under lockdown because of this devious group. They have been known to devour the inmates when nobody is looking. Here, we currently have two guards who occasionally catch one of the Quailz. Most of the time, you will find them sunbathing (if it's not too hot,) following the person on watering duty and lapping up water. Strawberry leaves have the best water I'm told. Frankly, they shirk their duty a lot... hence the lockdown measures. Right now, it's bird netting surrounded by a bunch of mylar pinwheels. Seems to work since the guards don't!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KittyPatrol1.jpg (407.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg KittyPatrol2.jpg (670.7 KB, 69 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2015   #19
Kikaida
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow, too funny. I kept hearing the cell door slam shut like on the TV show before commercial after every post!
Kikaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #20
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaida View Post
Oh wow, too funny. I kept hearing the cell door slam shut like on the TV show before commercial after every post!
oh haha-like in Law & Order? I keep singing the theme song to Cops-Whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you....
HollyinNNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #21
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinB View Post
Ah, the notorious Quailz gang. I know them well. Various plants in my yard are under lockdown because of this devious group. They have been known to devour the inmates when nobody is looking. Here, we currently have two guards who occasionally catch one of the Quailz. Most of the time, you will find them sunbathing (if it's not too hot,) following the person on watering duty and lapping up water. Strawberry leaves have the best water I'm told. Frankly, they shirk their duty a lot... hence the lockdown measures. Right now, it's bird netting surrounded by a bunch of mylar pinwheels. Seems to work since the guards don't!
Robin,
Your guards look much more dangerous than mine. My guards like to drink the prisoner water too, but I'm always worried about ingesting fertilizer .

Isn't this heat the worst? We went straight to full-on summer weather. I only have a few tiny baby tomatoes (like 3 with 10 plants!) so I'm not sure what to do. I tried the toothbrush thingy on the flowers tonight. I'm wondering if I need to up my TTF regimen? I'm lucky that my tomatoes get natural dappled sunlight in the afternoon or I think they'd be cooked! I'm guessing that you have far more fruit on your plants than I. I would guess that experience in our climate helps. If you have any tips, please let me know.
Holly
Old June 26, 2015   #22
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Warden Holly, Did you return from Utah yet? Did the assistant warden follow instructions regarding the ban on prisoner executions in your absence?
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #23
HollyinNNV
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipetual View Post
Warden Holly, Did you return from Utah yet? Did the assistant warden follow instructions regarding the ban on prisoner executions in your absence?
Bipetual,
I just returned from Utah.
Status Report:
The assistant warden did such a good job feeding the prisoners, I promoted him! I have NO complaints about him.

However, I had several cucumbers eaten by some gang than tunneled into the prison. I did not assign the assistant warden any perimeter guarding responsibilities, so I am just going to replace what I lost. I've been checking and updating the perimeters because I see lots of little holes dug where I never noticed before.

And let me just say-Utah was BEAUTIFUL! I was in the northern part of the state above Salt Lake City and it was gorgeous. Lots of agriculture going on and green hills. If I had to move from Reno, I'd consider that area because it is wonderful. I'm telling my assistant warden he needs to consider Univ of Utah because I think he'd love it.

Thanks for asking, Bipetual.
Holly
Old June 26, 2015   #24
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Holly,

Glad your trip was nice. I don't think I've ever visited that part of Utah.

One problem with my guards is the fact that they are both getting old. We need some new blood in here I think. And soon -- so the old guards can train the new recruit(s). I know a ten year old boy that would LOVE that idea.

The triple-digit heat happens every year, sometimes just a few days at a time, and sometimes for weeks, and sometimes way too early. I remember in 2013, the first two weeks of June were triple digits. The plants were just babies. Then, just as the plants were recovering, the heat came again at the beginning of July. It was a bad tomato year. Now, mine go into Walls O' Water and stay there all season. I really think it helps regulate the temperature in the heat as well as the cold. It's good that you get dappled sun in the afternoon. I'll bet your babies will get through just fine. If it gets too hot, they might not set fruit though, but just until it cools off a tad.

In an attempt to save water, I have also buried milk jugs in the raised beds between plants and it has been really great. I know I'm using a lot less water this year. I'm getting the water (and fertilizer) deep down where the roots are.

milk jugs.jpg

I don't have any gangs that tunnel into the garden up here. Our lot is solid clay. You can't dig down beyond 6" with a shovel. We built raised beds everywhere. The only tunneling is done by ants... and don't get me started.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #25
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

Your little dogs are so darn cute! You really have made a nice garden out of a very challenging site!!
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2015   #26
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I have just enjoyed the heck out of reading your posts and seeing the pics. Thanks for all the smiles and chuckles. : )
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2015   #27
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Holly, very glad you had a good trip and things went well in your absence!

Robin, your guards are nice and sleek-looking! Very nice shiny fur. Your tomato plants look pretty good too. If only raising tomatoes was as easy as keeping cats...
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote