Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 8, 2020   #1
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Default Grandma's Oliver Chocolate

I keep seeing this variety pop up regarding its fabulous flavor and production. What is the history with this variety? Is it stable? I've read there is also a "Marsha" strain but not sure what that means. I read through Marsha's recent winter growing thread in which she grew this variety. Is the Marsha strain any different then what is sold at various vendors? Also what is a good seed source for GOC?

Thanks!
smithmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Container Ted has seeds for sale at Heritage Seed Market. I did my seeds from Marsha on her annual seed offer, but she is no longer active here.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2020   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

From Tatianna's Tomatobase: A cross developed by Marianna's Heirloom Seeds from Grandma Oliver's Green and a black tomato, stabilized to F5 and offered in 2009 catalog.

Heritage lists it and so does Mariannna. Should be stable by now.
Old January 8, 2020   #4
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

NancyRuhl,

Thanks for the seed source.

So, there's so such thing as a "Marsha" strain correct. Individuals that say Marsha are the end of the name are just indicating their seed source? I haven't seen that done before with nomanclature so I was confused.
Old January 8, 2020   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

There is absolutely no such thing as a Marsha seed strain. That just happens to be one of the sources that people have gotten their seeds from.
Old January 9, 2020   #6
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
There is absolutely no such thing as a Marsha seed strain. That just happens to be one of the sources that people have gotten their seeds from.

Patti,

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Couple questions:

1. I saw Marianna's seed source questioned in terms of varient stability in the "Hybrid is as Hybrid does" thread. Are there any concerns with getting seeds from there? Jake's seeds indicates they are providing seeds that are at least a 8th generation (F8; not sure what Marianna or Hertiage generation number is): https://jakeseed.com/product/grandma...irloom-tomato/

2. What is the DTM considered for this variant? I haven't been able to find it on any of the seed source listings.

Thanks!

Last edited by smithmal; January 9, 2020 at 01:00 PM.
Old January 9, 2020   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

It might help to get the name exactly right when doing searches - it's Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (rather than Grandma's Oliver Chocolate). I grow it, and may be able to send a few seeds...
FarmerShawn
Old January 9, 2020   #8
smithmal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
It might help to get the name exactly right when doing searches - it's Grandma Oliver's Chocolate (rather than Grandma's Oliver Chocolate). I grow it, and may be able to send a few seeds...
FarmerShawn
FarmerShawn,

What is the DTM for GOC?

Thanks,

smithmal
Old January 10, 2020   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

The seeds I have listed on Heritage Seed Market come from the tomatoes in the picture. Since everybody will have a different experience with the "DTM", I list tomatoes as being early, Mid-season, or late. GOC was "Mid-Season" for me here in Eastern Tennessee at an altitude of ~1000 feet. Mid season for me is about 75 days, but your experience might be different (as in slightly earlier or later by a few days). DTM is the experience the grower has with the variety and may vary from season to season and from location to location. It is also affected by the growing of the seedlings and a myriad of other things that can affect it.

The taste of this variety is the best I have ever tasted. It's the top dog out of the ~3000 I've grown. Take care and don't pass it up, regardless of where you get your seeds.

Here's a couple of pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GrandmaOliversChocolate5.jpg (152.9 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg GrandmaOliversChocolate6.jpg (186.4 KB, 168 views)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; January 10, 2020 at 07:09 PM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020   #10
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Ted, for your detailed explanation. I was going to say "mid-season," but I have no idea of DTM. Here in frozen northern Vermont, if I get tomatoes during our short summer, it's a mid season variety, or early. Late ones require my hoophouse if I'm to get anything at all from them.
Old January 10, 2020   #11
oakley
Tomatovillian™

"There is absolutely no such thing as a Marsha seed strain. That just happens to be one of the sources that people have gotten their seeds from."

I always thought 'strain' meant it is most definitely the same tomato being careful in seed saving but it is seed saved for a number of years in a row and has all the characteristics
but lets watch it. Excellent enough to share with such great flavor but one key element
might be off.

Please correct me as I've used 'strain' vs 'original TGS' seed or 'farmers market pineapple'
...just to keep the source of the seed clear.

I have notations on all my personal saved seed and put the seed source on the Marsha
seed envelopes I sent to her for the offer. To have a trail for research hunting if we get something
off what is expected.

like GGWT. I have a packet from Jesica and from Marsha and my saved seed from last season.

Maybe we should ask Marsha. I'm guessing I'm wrong.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't having or developing a strain and being a noted on a seed packet as the seed source be different things?

Knowing in a swap, whose seeds you get can be good if something does not grow true.

Last edited by imp; January 10, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2020   #13
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Brandywines for 30 some years now, saving my own seeds. Should I now list it as "Brandywine Patti" or list it as "Brandywine" - Patti?

I just always put my name on a packet at the bottom so that people know where the seeds came from. I do also try to put the name of the tomato in quotes so that there is no confusion such as in the above scenario.
Old January 14, 2020   #14
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention that there is a tomato called "Grandma Oliver Chocolate" out there. If this is a tomato by the name of "Grandma's Oliver Chocolate", then it just may be a whole new variety developed by Moron and not a strain. Lol
Old January 14, 2020   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm! Could there be three? The one I have came with the name

"Grandma Oliver's Chocolate".

My dad would have said that this is "confoozzin' but also amoozzin". It was his way of saying that he could see the problem, but it wasn't important to him. I can see each person's point here, but I must remain solidly behind the name that was on the seeds when they arrived here from two different sources.

Regardless of what it's called, the one I have here really DOES taste good.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote