Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old October 18, 2018   #1
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Default Thick walls, sweet, tasty, productive

Hi all,
I'm looking for a pepper that is all of the above. This year I grew Doe Hill Yellow cheese pepper. It was the best tasting pepper I've ever eaten. The problem was I got about 5 small peppers all told. Most years my sweet pepper are underwhelming in quantity. Any suggestions?

TIA,
Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2018   #2
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Gambro or Gambo. Crazy productive and sweet. Doe Hill has never been a big producer for me either.
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2018   #3
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like a good one.
Old October 19, 2018   #4
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

I have had luck with Corno Di Toro Giallo but much prefer the Red Marconi and Giant Marconi.

The "Corno was very prolific. walls are a bit thinner than the Red Marconi.

I like the Red Marconi better, sweeter, thicker and juicier but not as prolific as my Corno from last year but about the same this year.

Thick as my bells

Last edited by SQWIBB; October 19, 2018 at 07:09 AM.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2018   #5
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for this topic Nan, I'm looking for the same thing. Per recommendations and what I found when I looked them up I think I'm gonna try Gambo, Red Marconi, Ajvarski and Bullnose peppers next year.
Old October 19, 2018   #6
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the suggestions, Squibb & Rajun!
Old October 20, 2018   #7
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

AJVARSKI for sure; unfortunately my seeds won't germinate this season. I tried my saved seeds and from the pack I bought.

Yellow Monster - BIG, Thick Walls, sweet, productive. I grew all last season so have seeds if you need them.

Off topic - But how long does your pepper seeds last? Are there any tricks? I tried the paper towel method, seeing if they are sinkers (vs Floater), putting a little kelp in the water to rehydrate them, but nothing gets them to germinate.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #8
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been growing them very long. I think my Doe Hill Yellows (purchased seed) were about 3 years old and they germinated just fine.

I use a heat mat for all seedlings. I've used soil or potting mix; couldn't get things to germinate in a paper towel.

That's 2 votes for ajvarski.

Nan
Old October 20, 2018   #9
LDiane

My pepper seeds last well - some of the 48 kinds I grew this year were from seeds I bought in 2012, and a couple may have been older.

I did find that seeds seem to need a period of after-ripening. They may have immature embryos. I had Canoncito ripen on June 22.

I sowed seeds from it in late June. They didn't germinate, so I tried again in early September.
Still no germination. On February 5, the time I usually sow peppers, I sowed some more, and they germinated.
Old October 20, 2018   #10
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Cubanelle is all I can offer from experience, I was hoping to have a year of discovery with other sweet peppers this year but it didn't happen so that's all I can recommend personally besides letting your bells ripen to Red. Green peppers of most varieties (to me) tend to have bitter qualities. I did enjoy some very sweet orange peppers (no clue what they were) from the super market - stuffed them like I do Jalapenos and they were absolutely to die for.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

What do you stuff them with?
Old October 20, 2018   #12
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
What do you stuff them with?
Sausage, cheddar (or pepperjack or other sharp type cheese) and cream cheese of course !!! Delicious !
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

There is a reference (can't find now) regarding peat based mixes and poor pepper seed germination. When pepper seeds are stubborn to germinate, I break out the coir pellets. These pellets with constant heat results in a high germination rate if you don't accidentally cook the seeds or let them dry out. I've also successfully used unscented generic kitty liter when Drysorb was the rage on here. I prefer the coir for pepper seeds. Pine bark fines are good too.

There was one year where everyone was having trouble germinating peppers. Weird that we all had that unusual experience at the same time when other years were normal.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2018   #14
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

SQUIBB, I prefer the giant marconi (which is a hybrid) too. Every pepper was thick sweet and juicy. Have you ever grown F2's and how did it compare?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #15
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
AJVARSKI for sure; unfortunately my seeds won't germinate this season. I tried my saved seeds and from the pack I bought.

Yellow Monster - BIG, Thick Walls, sweet, productive. I grew all last season so have seeds if you need them.

Off topic - But how long does your pepper seeds last? Are there any tricks? I tried the paper towel method, seeing if they are sinkers (vs Floater), putting a little kelp in the water to rehydrate them, but nothing gets them to germinate.
Barb, I have about 15 seeds of Ajvarski left over from my Baker Creek Seed Packet,
2018. How about 12 seeds of your Yellow Monster as a trade?
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote