Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2017   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Being my first year garden here in NC, converted from wild grass ( different kinds) with super sandy soil) I put in as much organic matter that I could find for free, plus lots of wood ash. Then I got a soil test done by the county AG Extension.
Everything was fine except I had to add N.
To take care of N, I had bough 2 gallons of Alaska Fish (5-1-1) at WM, @ clearance price of ONE buck per gallon. Then I also bought a 5 lbs MG blue stuff ( $9.) and some multipurpose starter fertilized at CLEARANC from Tractor Supply ( $5 ). Now , doing the math I have spent under 20 bucks and I still have plenty of it left. I am growing close to 60 tomatoes, 30 peppers, 10 eggplants, 30 corn, 20 okra, 20 cucurbits, ... beans, onions, broccoli, peas, garlic, herbs,
AND my garden is thriving, tomatoes and peppers are loaded ( the bottom line ).

The morale of the story : You don't have to spend a lot of money on fertilizers to grow good crops. You have to give the plants what they need. They don't care about the bells and whistles.
JMHO

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote