Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 2, 2020   #31
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdian View Post
Got whacked by the hailstorm tonight, though. I'll review the damage tomorrow, but mine are tight against the house and are usually OK.
How was the hail damage for you? With the angle it came in on I had some pretty severe damage to 13 plants - I counted 11 hail marks on one Sun Gold fruit. Virtually all of the fruit on those plants have the skin punctures which look ok when the fruit is green, but introduce rot as soon as they start ripening.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2020   #32
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
How was the hail damage for you? With the angle it came in on I had some pretty severe damage to 13 plants - I counted 11 hail marks on one Sun Gold fruit. Virtually all of the fruit on those plants have the skin punctures which look ok when the fruit is green, but introduce rot as soon as they start ripening.
It wasn't too bad, thanks. The angle was from the north so the eaves sheltered them. But I am seeing a few dings for sure, which seem innocent enough, but maybe not. Worst hailstorm in the 12 years I have lived at this house.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2020   #33
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

EM Champion will be making a return in my 2021 garden. It has already produced a load of beautiful red hearts, the taste of which is sweet and complex with a bit of an acid kicker.

Early, compact, tasty and grows well in a cage. What more can anyone ask?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2020   #34
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Early, compact, tasty and grows well in a cage. What more can anyone ask?
Well, I personally would love to have more than 50 fruits per plant.

I-3 and O-33 are fairly good, short season, and can handle a lot of stress. I would marginally prefer O-33 as it is a bit more productive in my Southeastern U.S. garden.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2020   #35
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Well, if those fruits are 250 grams each, I think 50 is a very solid number. Em Champion surely looks like it will be my most producing plant in a 5 gallon container I ever grew. Nice shape, blemish free. The taste though... maybe the second wave will be better. They are just mild.
Certainly a variety to consider growing though, it gets established and grows fast in a colder spring.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote