Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 16, 2006   #1
miniedmo
Tomatovillian™

Default Cats in my garden

I have the neigbors cats using my garden as a large litter box, is there anything I can do to keep them out?
miniedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2006   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Here are two ideas I've used with sucess. Others will probably give you other good techniques....

1. Chickenwire around the perimeter. While the cat could
still jump over and in, it's likely to find another spot to
do it's business.

2. If that's not feasbile, place the chickenwire on the
ground either on top or under your mulch. This will
discourage the digging that usually preceeds the squatting.

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2006   #3
miniedmo
Tomatovillian™

Second idea sounds really good because they actually jump a fence to get into my backyard.
Old July 1, 2006   #4
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I use a product called Cat Scat Mats. They are small plastic spikes that don't hurt any creature but definitely make it uncomfortable for any of them to try to do their business. I find it works pretty well.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

When our barn cats come to "visit", I generally go crazy yelling and throwing rocks, and if possible a good spray with the sprinkler hose.
Of course, I have no neighbors to witness this and my kids are nearly old enough to repeat my drama....it does seem to work.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #6
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Pine Cones....keeps them out of the rose garden (not exactly agarden as there are only three plants) I also lay down over top of my straw mulch raspberry canes. Deters cats and stops the mulch from blowing away.
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #7
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Though I haven't tried it in the veggie beds (they are in the fenced back yard and most cats stay out because of the dogs), keeping the flower beds moist has worked the best for me. If you have mulch down, just keeping that moist should help. Cats don't like to do their business in anything wet.
Cathy
Edit: I forgot to mention, that I try to moisten things in the evenings, since the cats are out and about more in the night, it will be moist when they are most likely to come by.
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2006   #8
m3k1
Tomatovillian™

I have had success sprinkling either spent (used) coffee grounds or ground (powdered) red pepper over the garden area the cats are using. I think it bothers their nose when they sniff around looking for a place to go. I used to have a big problem with the neighborhood cats using my freshly dug garden beds as their litter box, but since I started doing this, no problems at all. You have to kind of keep doing it, as it washes into the ground when you water.

I bought good sized bottles of red pepper at the dollar store, and used coffee grounds can be had for free at most Starbucks locations (you just need to ask).

Hope this helps!
m3k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2006   #9
miniedmo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks you guys,

The pepper powder sounds really good. Since I have not hoed my trails through the garden and it has become compact the cats do not seem to be as interested. I found when I would hoe the weeds in the trails is when they would seem to love it so I have stopped. Thanks again.

Eddie
Old July 3, 2006   #10
cukes
Tomatovillian™

Default Cats In The Garden

Chicken wire layed on the ground will stop the cats. When they try to scratch up the dirt their claws get caught in the wire. Been using it for years. No cat poop in the gardens anymore.
cukes is offline   Reply With Quote