Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 21, 2011   #31
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Suze,

Great! Are you planning on mixing in Actinovate as well as per Ami's routine? It would be interesting (if you have lots of garden space) to run some trials of the two mycos, then some plants treated with all three, etc. Have fun!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2011   #32
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

I use Actinovate from the very beginning on my seedlings - I even add some when I soak down the seed starting mix. I don't use every single time I water (as that would be a waste of product) but I do add some to the water every second or third watering.

Testimonial alert - year before last, I had a bad experience with 4-5 flats of my seedlings having some damping off problems. Got a bad/old bag of seed starting mix. I'd already been reading about Actinovate, but had never used it before. Actinovate reversed the damage and about 98% of those seedlings in the flats lived and thrived, even though several already had mild girdling at stem level. I did set aside about 10 control seedlings that didn't get treated (and all eventually died.) Since then, I just use it from the get-go when starting seed, good stuff.

Found out that year it also works wonders on turf.

So anyway, all my seedlings are already inoculated with Actinovate.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2011   #33
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Do you use any when you pot up from seedlings to a 4' pot? Or do you wait and use the solutions when you transplant outside?
Yes, indirectly. I use Fox Farm "Light Warrior" seedling mix which already has myco's added to it when I pot up to 4" Dot Pots or Cow Pots. A'int nothing better out there. One bag is enough for 100 4" pots. Ami
Old February 22, 2011   #34
JoAnne
Tomatovillian™

Thanks everybody for the precise instructions! I'm gonna try Ami's triple dip and will report back.
JoAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #35
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

I'm pretty convinced. We've been amending our soil since we moved here (a year and a half ago), but it still needs all of the help it can get. I looked at MycoGrow last year, but couldn't find a lot of feedback and didn't know anyone who had used it. Just to be clear, do I want to order the MycoGrow Soluble (5.95/oz) or the MycoGrow for Vegetables (4.95/oz)?
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2011   #36
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

The "Soluble" for $5.95 appears to be more potent than is listed for the "Vegetable" $4.95 version. I'd recommend the Soluble version.

Raybo
Old February 23, 2011   #37
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that's what I'll order. There is so much info here that it's hard to pull myself away from the computer to do any actual gardening!
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #38
Duh_Vinci
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Raybo, thank you Ami and all who contributed to the research of these products. I just spent about 3 hours reading through the numerous posts, writing down the notes, and was a little overwhelmed at first.

Because of their unique ingredients, I will be using both, BiotaMax and Mycogrow to compliment one another. Additionally, I will be ordering Planters II, specially to try out for containers for their minerals and low cost per plant.

Regards,
D
Duh_Vinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #39
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Duh,

Please keep us posted on your results this Season. The more folks that we can get to evaluate the use of these products, the better.

Raybo
Old March 1, 2011   #40
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

I have BiotaMax and MycoGrow. I am spraying the rootball of all my seedlings at planting up time. Have already done 78 and have a million more to go. Am hoping this season will be much better than last. Already feel better about it. Thanks for all your help people out there. Actually excited about the garden this year.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #41
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Hey Kat,

I do believe you are going to be able to feed all of Texas with your tomato crop this year!!

Raybo
Old March 2, 2011   #42
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Most of my little seedlings are going to a fund raiser plant sale. My guess by the end, I will be throwing plants in car windows as people slow down.
Kat
Old March 2, 2011   #43
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Kat,

My address is:

Thanks in advance for the plants!!!

Raybo
Old March 2, 2011   #44
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Don't tempt me Raybo I will do it
Kat
Old March 2, 2011   #45
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Kat,

If it wasn't for Damon (sprtsguy) I would certainly take you up on your offer. I managed to kill off ALL of my 56 seedlings by leaving them out in the Sun too long a few weeks ago. Fortunately, Damon took things at a slower pace, and has extras for me.

Raybo