Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 6, 2016   #61
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I explored the hydrofarm catalog and touched everything at the hydro store, saw some similarities that could be exploited.

Our city is a major hub for the manufacture of medical supplies and devices. In order to play the ISO and the many other acronyms game, they have very strict rules on non-conforming products, and sometimes those end up in the trash, and I mean scores of them. Someone brought it to my attention, and they've received plants in the past, so this year they'll receive a top 15 variety pack, a who's who of the tomato world--a slice of heaven for the senses.

The other source is someone who sells them to pharmacies-hospitals and will be on the lookout for opened-torn package returns. She'll also receive top-shelf plants and tomatoes

A third and only theoretical route is to walk into a farmacia and purchase it. The last time I had to infuse someone it was around 2 bucks for the infusion set, another deuce for the cannula, and right around 4 for the bag of NS. Had a germ shep that needed it sometimes and I was the only one who could stick him, easy under the coat right behind their head.

Do you know any nurses-docs-ancillary staff-reps that could be on the lookout for similar rejects-returns? The key word is "infusion set."
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2016   #62
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think I might have some stuff here at the house (yet on hand again) that I can do this with.
I only need one for the oilier.

One time the vet called my house and said could you came down and give this mean cat of your a shot.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #63
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

Forgot to name them. That's Pink + Sunrise BB in the cage. E. Ssubakus Aliana up top, Dora, Gregori's Altai, and Sakh. Pud in the squares, and two Gribovsky in smaller clay.
I'm trying Sunrise and Blush this year. I'll be interested to see your results and thoughts. Have you grown those or other Artisian varieties before?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #64
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think yellow cherry tomato types are the most susceptible to having their flavor be watered-down when they get over-watered. The artisans were the same for me last year after having the wettest summer in recorded history. They weren't bad, but you're not getting the full experience if you have had very wet weather.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #65
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

I tried sunrise bb n green tiger, this year ojazz, pink + sunrise bb, 4 flavors of lucky tiger, and green tiger, and Maglia. I like them a lot. Goal is to make all of my boys' classmates fans of Fred's work, I know I am.

C_R: hhhshih seems to take anything on. Solid yellow. They rarely make it inside
Old February 7, 2016   #66
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried HHHS versus Chang Li? I think Chang Li is sweeter in a good year. I like them both, though.
Old February 7, 2016   #67
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Don't have Chang Li, placed on the "to procure" list. I really like HHHS so I'm sure Chang Li will be a great one.
Old February 7, 2016   #68
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I still haven't packed up the seeds I am going to send you, so I will include Chang Li.
Old February 7, 2016   #69
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! Now that's a super bowl sunday halftime gift.
Old February 8, 2016   #70
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default update for winter children

Hello,

Two RGGS functional. Two more to go, and likely a fifth one for my pops and his crops. Working on the support system. The inverted golf clubs in cement are part of that scheme. It'll be settled this week.

2 so far.jpg

The benefits of trench planting. The culling of krasnodar titans will serve as a teaching tool.
trench 1.jpg

trench2.jpg

Tasm Choc, two specimens sharing a 5 gal rootpot. I really like these.
tasm choc.jpg

Sweet Scarlet
sweet scarlet.jpg

Sibirsky Skorospely (Early Siberian)
sibirs s.jpg

Shamrock aka Jackass Green
shamro.jpg

Sakharny Pudovichok, looking forward to this sugary one
sa pudov.jpg

Rebelski. Although designed for the greenhouse, testing out its lower limit of tolerances, and with today being in the high 80s low 90s, its ability to handle big swings in temp too.
rebels.jpg

Pit Viper, looking forward to Blane's creation.
pit viper F6.jpg

Gigant-10 Novikova aka Novikov Giant. Where's Apache chief from the SuperFriends when I need him.
novi10 giganta.jpg

knopka
nop.jpg

Mikhalych. Healthy plants.
micalich.jpg

Leningradskij Skorospely
lening s.jpg

JD's Special C-Tex
jds special c tex.jpg

BHN-871
bhn 871.jpg

Next three are Dora Truss, Dora from the Top, and another Dora. These guys are doing great and they remind me of Ch Purple in their growth habit.
dora truss.jpg
dora top view.jpg
another dora.jpg

I'm still fighting off a whitefly infestation. Right after I took these pics I loaded up a strong dose of Deltamethrin (it's a slurry similar to Daconil) and Neem Oil into the sprayer and it was fun to watch the virus-laden invaders fly for their lives.

In a few days I'll follow up w Neem Oil + an old school organophosphate at a really high dose, something like Diazinone or Chlorpyrifos. Since it'll be a while before I pick any fruit, it won't be an issue. I'm tired of them flying up my nostrils.

Another thing to report is I found a great product called "Sea Green" by primordial solutions. VERY concentrated, 1 ml per gallon. Ideal for foliar, and I've applied this way twice now. Mostly used for ganja production, I've found there's a lot of crossover. Gonna give it a shot in lieu of extreme blend from kelp4less.

Last edited by Gerardo; February 8, 2016 at 11:53 PM.
Old February 8, 2016   #71
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks great.
The other night I brought in my plants and one fell over less tha two hours later it was pointing back up straight.

In the old days the cross over was the other way with the mota and the tomate.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #72
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Dude..your killing me with those pics. Beautiful plants, wish it was April though.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #73
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Yea, great thread & pics. It's snowing out my window now. Pics make me appreciate the color green. I'm missing it big time at the moment.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #74
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Sorry for tempting you to start seedlings now.... The weird thing is, yesterday and likely today it will be in the low 90s, very dry and windy; sure makes me miss the snow, especially the night air.
Old February 9, 2016   #75
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, according to the almanac our Feb/March are gonna be colder than normal so I'm holding off on starting tomatoes. Hard to imagine 90s in February.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote