Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 9, 2016   #16
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
I don't think it is variety specific. I started several plant of each and one will be normal the other will be affected.

-Zach
Yes, just saying similar symptoms for another problem. Not always easy to tell what is wrong. Jiffy is mostly peat moss, which no herbicides are used, it could not be buffered and very acidic, but otherwise, i don't understand why the mix would be bad? No compost in there. I heard it's not a very good product, though not sure I would blame the mix. It could be a new virus, an old virus like Curly Top. Any number of things can cause curling. Softened water, high salt content, on and on.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2016   #17
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew51 View Post
Yes, just saying similar symptoms for another problem. Not always easy to tell what is wrong. Jiffy is mostly peat moss, which no herbicides are used, it could not be buffered and very acidic, but otherwise, i don't understand why the mix would be bad? No compost in there. I heard it's not a very good product, though not sure I would blame the mix. It could be a new virus, an old virus like Curly Top. Any number of things can cause curling. Softened water, high salt content, on and on.

I'm sure it is not the only reason for the curling leaves but I did have a huge problem with fungus gnats this year and I'm positive that is from the mix.

-Zach
Old June 9, 2016   #18
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
I'm sure it is not the only reason for the curling leaves but I did have a huge problem with fungus gnats this year and I'm positive that is from the mix.

-Zach
The Miracle Grow seed starter is the same way. i started adding hydrogen peroxide to the water, and that worked well. i didn't see one this year. Plus it kills the damping off fungus, and provides air to roots.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote