Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 20, 2011   #46
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Go, Granny, Go!

I'll be curious to see if it is early or not in different parts of the country. it wasn't on the northern border, but then again, not much is.
Old April 20, 2011   #47
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I planted out two plants in the garden on 3/12 and 3/13. Attached are a couple of close ups of a fruit that's set, although there are a few more on the plants other than just that one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011.04.20 Granny's Heart.jpg (126.3 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 2011.04.20 Granny's Heart 2.jpg (130.1 KB, 73 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2011   #48
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
Go, Granny, Go!

I'll be curious to see if it is early or not in different parts of the country. it wasn't on the northern border, but then again, not much is.
(Granny's Heart 3 seeds 3 days 3 plants, regular leaf)

That's from Craig's humongous germination page at his website where he's also raising my seedlings for me. Sure, I send him plenty of seed when I have it, for any of the seeds I send to him. but he's shall I say stingy when he sows seed and I guess why not when he's very good at it.

So no pictures to show and won't be b'c I can't take pictures, but plants will be sent up to me by roughly mid-May and out they go if the weather looks OK and of course being a heart lover, with respect to tomatoes, ahem, I'll be looking forward to this one as well as a couple of other new hearts and my chips are also on Dragon Heart, Cuore del Drago, just b'c I like the name alone.
Old June 4, 2011   #49
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Picked and photographed a few days ago. Flavor is really good.

Click for Larger Size
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2011   #50
SaberTooth
Tomatovillian™

Sent you a note. Hope I'm not too late.
SaberTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2011   #51
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

Picked my first Granny's Heart on May 23. Even though our weather has been colder than usual, the flavor was still at 7.5/10. Mine had a yellow epidermis (red) and was small because of weather (only about 2 oz).

For a comparison, that same day I also picked the first Big Cheef which was about the same size and flavor, but a red-black with green gel. I really like them both.

Last edited by Linda10; June 4, 2011 at 10:38 PM. Reason: to add comparison
Linda10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #52
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Suze, That looks just the way Granny's should and sounds like the taste is there too in Texas. It definitely did much better for me in a warm year. Unfortunately I lost my NY planted Granny with Aunt Gertie and Black Cherry due to a fierce windstorm last week which cracked them off at the base. I have one Granny's Heart in my zone 3 VT garden which the warm weather we've had needs to continue through the summer if I'm going to get good production.

Linda, I hope you have some much bigger ones because there is no way Granny would put out 2 oz. tomatoes!

Saber, the seed offer was closed back in January when I ran out of seeds.
Old June 5, 2011   #53
salix
Tomatovillian™

Granny planted out up here on 1 June. Reports to follow.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #54
cloz
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 Granny's Heart plants occupying prime real estate in my garden. They were planted on 5/26 and survived the wind storm we had earlier in the week. I still have one good seedling and an empty 10 gallon container. If I can round up enough leftover mix I may plant that one too. That would make 81 tomato plants. Make a lot of sauce. Reminds me of my younger days when I went out fishing one day and came home with 142 1 to 3 pound mackerel. I cleaned and packaged them all and then went out to buy a freezer. My mother would boil up 5 at a time for cat food. After getting fresh mackerel for food, they turned their noses up at cat food.
At least this time I won't have to buy a freezer.
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2011   #55
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloz View Post
I have 2 Granny's Heart plants occupying prime real estate in my garden. They were planted on 5/26 and survived the wind storm we had earlier in the week. I still have one good seedling and an empty 10 gallon container. If I can round up enough leftover mix I may plant that one too. That would make 81 tomato plants. Make a lot of sauce. Reminds me of my younger days when I went out fishing one day and came home with 142 1 to 3 pound mackerel. I cleaned and packaged them all and then went out to buy a freezer. My mother would boil up 5 at a time for cat food. After getting fresh mackerel for food, they turned their noses up at cat food.
At least this time I won't have to buy a freezer.
Thanks for sharing- this is hilarious!

My Granny's Heart went out on 5/13 and it is one of the first to have some blossoms bagged.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2011   #56
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Here is mine... Finally getting some ripe tomatoes in the main garden too.. Yay!

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1315587298772.jpg (108.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1315587373745.jpg (77.1 KB, 96 views)
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011   #57
instar8
Tomatovillian™

Default No thread about barkeater's "Granny's Heart"?

I wanted to wait til i could post pics, but that's not gonna be til i get a new PC....anywho...I just wanted to remark on what a nice tomato "Granny's Heart" tuned out to be. I put out three plants, lost one to critters, but the two i have left are giving a great yield.

The first couple from each plant were huge, close to a pound, like i said , i have pics, but can't download them...;~( . The rest were more medium sized, but all have a really nice flavor, thick walls and small seed cavities. They looked stripey while ripening, but went to deep red.

Definitely a keeper!

lynn

Sorry, i wasn't getting the follow-ups on the original post...really need a new computer...just delete this

Last edited by Suze; September 17, 2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: merged w/existing thread
instar8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #58
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Want several of these seeds for a start.

Did anyone save seeds from Granny's Heart who would be willing to sell me a half dozen? Or I have some seeds to trade?

Thanks
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2012   #59
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasrockgarden View Post
Did anyone save seeds from Granny's Heart who would be willing to sell me a half dozen? Or I have some seeds to trade?

Thanks
THe place to make such requests is in the Wanted Sub Forum ( the first one on top in the Seed Exchange) of the seed exchange, not here in the General Discussion Forum and note that NO money exchanges are possible, if you read the guidelines for the Seed Exchanges. You don't even have to trade seeds if all you want is seeds for Granny's Heart.

I'm sure someone has some since Barkeater sent out seeds last Spring to lots of folks.

It's a darn good tasting variety, so go for it.
Old March 22, 2012   #60
texasrockgarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
The place to make such requests is in the Wanted Sub Forum ( the first one on top in the Seed Exchange) of the seed exchange, not here in the General Discussion Forum and note that NO money exchanges are possible, if you read the guidelines for the Seed Exchanges. You don't even have to trade seeds if all you want is seeds for Granny's Heart.

I'm sure someone has some since Barkeater sent out seeds last Spring to lots of folks.

It's a darn good tasting variety, so go for it.
I apologize for the mis-post. I am new to Tomatoville so I am still stumbling a bit.

I grow several tomato varieties every spring and am now for the most part sowing my own seeds indoors around the first of the year. Although it is late to be starting seeds I thought if I could get seed sown within the next couple weeks I could produce tomatoes to use for seed next season.

I've read so much about what you have had to say in favor of the oxheart tomato as far as it being a meaty tomato that may be good for flavorful sauces that I wanted to give it a try. I am a sauce person. I put up a little over 100 jars of sauces last summer from my tomato harvest.

Thanks and I am on my way to the Wanted Sub Forum.

Last edited by texasrockgarden; March 22, 2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Continue narrative.
texasrockgarden is offline   Reply With Quote