Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old June 20, 2007   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default fruitset in heat?

I recently harvested and ate my 3rd fruit off of the plant. It still looks rather healthy and is flowering. Can I expect more fruit from the plant or is the heat too much for fruitset?

Duane
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Mine don't do much when it's really hot out. Then in September when it cools down some, I get a whole bunch, more than before, only the fruit is a little smaller.
Old June 20, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Here in Raleigh, I am getting excellent fruit set with daytime temps in the mid 90s, medium humidity, and night time temps in the 60s or 70s. In fact, today I noticed the first flush of fruit on most of my plants - which is great news, since we love Eggplant! We are growing Early Green Giant, Neon, Casper, Lavendar Touch, New York Improved, Zebra, and an F4 out of Purple Rain which, in the F2 and F3, looked very much like Listada di Gandia.
Old June 21, 2007   #4
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Planted heaps of them last season and still have about 25 in pots with yellow fruit hanging, for seedsaving, but I would say from my limited but intense experience that heat is no issue in respect of fruitset, certainly not like it is with tomatoes grown through the same season. I will, say, I think you can water and feed eggplant more, especially with a bloom booster, without risk of excess foliage. One last thing, try a spot with dappled afternoon sun, as in full morning sun and not the burning afternoon sun, as those of mine in that position did best.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I water every day in this heat but could probably feed a little more often. And with the heat only getting worse from here on, moving it to a different area seems like a good idea. Thanks Grub
Old July 12, 2007   #6
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Noticed this morning I have another set and the plant is flowering heavy. I sure hope more set but I am happy that it will give me at least one more!
Old July 12, 2007   #7
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Mine had slowed waaay down there for awhile (I think it was because of all the nonstop rain and lack of sun), but are starting to set and flower again. It's been warm here this week, and both the eggplants and peppers are really perking up because of it.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2007   #8
duajones
Tomatovillian™

noticed this morning that I have several more that have set. I have only harvested 3 fruit from this lone plant but I have at least 4 or 5 more now and it looks like more are coming. Hard to believe in the heat we have
Old July 18, 2007   #9
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

First out of the gate for me was White Beauty and it's slowed down a bit. Rosita is finally picking up a little and Louisiana Long Green is in half shade but hanging in there with several fruit that will be ready by the weekend.