Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old July 1, 2016   #121
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I bet you are, you are putting 3.031 PSI on the orifice when it is used to running off of 0 PSI.
Plus if I remember right you were having a vacuum problem.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #122
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, I think you may be right. Try it with an airtight top to that bucket and check the difference.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #123
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Everybody take note of this, you are going to have to recalculate everything you do for your times or concentrations due to the new feed rate.
This feed rate will also depend on how high the containers are in relation to the feeder.
You are looking at 0.433 PSI for every foot higher than the feeder.
Old July 1, 2016   #124
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

It might not be a bad thing depending on how you water, it should deliver more water so I should be able to cut down on the fertilizer strength.

I'll do test with my PPM meter and post the results. Salsacharley is there a reason you're using the 4-18-38 and Calnit separately? I use the same stuff in my dutch buckets and when I feed the outdoor plants with it they like it.
Old July 1, 2016   #125
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Worth, I think you may be right. Try it with an airtight top to that bucket and check the difference.
If you do that then the rubber gasket seal thing will have that same pressure on it so you will in effect have to have around 18 PSI outside pressure to overcome this.
This is where the vacuum will come into effect to help this happen.
I can see it in my mind but I cant explain it.
With that amount of pressure it may just stop flowing.

Worth
Old July 1, 2016   #126
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

We can always add a square bucket about 1' above the feeder and add a float valve that is fed by the other buckets or a bigger container.
Old July 1, 2016   #127
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I mix them separately because I add MgSO4 to the 4-18-38. If the MgSO4 is mixed with the CaNO3 it causes gypsum to form. I don't remember the chemical formula for gypsum, but it sure won't go through a feeder.

My vacuum problem was solved when I switched to buckets. I think I'll lower my buckets to just above the feeders to see how that works. I hope I didn't cook my plants already. They sure looked good today after all that fertilizer went to them. It does look like everything will have to be remeasured and re- calculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
It might not be a bad thing depending on how you water, it should deliver more water so I should be able to cut down on the fertilizer strength.

I'll do test with my PPM meter and post the results. Salsacharley is there a reason you're using the 4-18-38 and Calnit separately? I use the same stuff in my dutch buckets and when I feed the outdoor plants with it they like it.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2016   #128
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

How strong do you have them mixed?
Old July 1, 2016   #129
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I put 52 oz of 4-18-38 and 26 oz of MgSO4 in 4 gallons, and 52 oz of CaNO3 in 4 gallons.

Last edited by Salsacharley; July 2, 2016 at 10:38 AM. Reason: I erred in my recollection of the ounces compared to Tbs
Old July 1, 2016   #130
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

That seems like a lot. Have you checked the PPM at the dripline. I'm curious because I use 72 grams per 5 gallons for the masterblend, calnit and epson is half that for my hydro system.
Old July 1, 2016   #131
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

It is a lot, but I figured it would dilute to 1:40 (1 pint fertilizer per 40 gallons water) with the feeder, so I was trying to produce 2.5 Tablespoons per 40 gallons (80 Tablespoons of fert in 4 Gallons (32 pints) of concentrate....80 Tablespoons divided by 32 pints = 2.5 T per pint. Since this fertilizer recommends 1 Teaspoon per gallon I was only putting out 7.5 Teaspoons per 40 gallons, assuming the feeder was putting out 40 gallons of water per pint of concentrate.
Old July 1, 2016   #132
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I just curious where you found the amounts to use. I haven't used the masterblend for my tomatoes because I amend the soil when I plant but I use the calnit by dropping about 2 tablespoons around the plant and water it in. They respond very well but I'm gonna use it in the feeder and I don't think you need to use that much to get the same results. I used it twice on my bell peppers about a month ago and they're still dark green and producing good.

I'm just thinking out loud based on the results I had but since you've been using it you should know.
Old July 1, 2016   #133
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

The Hydro-Gardens Chemgro fertilizer requires the mix of 4-18-38 + MgSO4 as one part of their formula, and an equal amount of calnit as the other part. The low nitrogen in the 4-18-38 requires the added nitrogen from the calnit. The ratios can be adjusted to fit individual circumstances but their base formula is as I described. The combined ingredients are all necessary to get balance. AKmark uses it and that's why I went for it. I'll know more about how good it is in a couple more weeks, except for the fact that I've really messed it up with my huge over dosing.
Old July 1, 2016   #134
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well if the plants dont burn they will be fine, it may be just what the doctor ordered.

Worth
Old July 2, 2016   #135
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth the package came but no scorpions. I'll try them out later when it cools down a bit, it's crazy hot outside today.