Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old January 15, 2011   #1
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Default zucchini help

Please see the attached photos and help me identify what causes zucchini to do things like that.

The zucchini looks ok, but the tip is all shrivelled up.

I also had another one the other day that was full size on one end, but on the other end it shrank down and was only maybe 1/3 the size of the rest... and tip looked similar to the ones pictured.

I just cut the end off and ate the good end and it was fine. But I am wondering if anyone knows what causes this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zuch1.jpg (221.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg zuch2.jpg (146.2 KB, 37 views)
alamo5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Can't tell for sure from the photo, but I'm guessing incomplete fertilization. Not sure, though.

Last edited by fortyonenorth; January 15, 2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: second thought
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #3
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Can't tell for sure from the photo, but I'm guessing incomplete fertilization. Not sure, though.

Right now there are 4 or 5 other zuch's on all of the plants, and all the others are fine. Its just one zuch out of all of them.

I had one other one that was like that as well but its already been picked.

The other zuch's on the exact same plant do not have the problem.
Old January 15, 2011   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

If the end is shriveled and dark inside, even mushy, it's the fertilization problem already suggested. If it's a tapering of the fruit at one end, then it's inconsistent watering.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2011   #5
alamo5000
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
If the end is shriveled and dark inside, even mushy, it's the fertilization problem already suggested. If it's a tapering of the fruit at one end, then it's inconsistent watering.
Lets assume for a minute that its fertilizer. What kind of fertlizer should I be using for a zuch?
Old January 15, 2011   #6
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that "fertilizer" was the problem; rather the flower from which the fruit formed was incompletely fertilized. Happens often with the first fruits of the season when it's cool and there aren't as many pollinators around. Hope that makes more sense. I'm far from an expert, but I've grown my share of zucchinis over the years and yearly see both of the problems I described.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2011   #7
David Marek
Tomatovillian™

A thousand words: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=16486

I add lots of compost and composted manure to squash beds and Plant Tone around the plants. I don't think they are too particular if you prefer miracle gro, osmocote, or granular.

For the original question, My first thought was also problems with pollination, but now I recall sometimes having a particular plant that would do this. After 2 or 3 funky fruits in a row, I would yank the plant because I had others that produced perfectly good fruits.
David Marek is offline   Reply With Quote