Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2009   #46
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Earl, if you have installed the program, you will not be looking at 56 files. If you installed the program (by selecting "SETUP", then you will see the two database files - Address1.MDB and Myseeds.MDB. If you are in windows explorer, you may not see the extension displayed. So, select icons and then look for the file with an icon that looks like a KEY over top of another small object.

Remember, you must install the program before it will work.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2009   #47
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Roper. Good to hear we're making progress. Read the "Readme.txt" file that comes with the software and can be found in the new directory it makes. This will give you a lot of information about how the program operates and what data it keeps.

Be patient, now. You're doing much better than some folks I have worked with to get their programs working. I have the files posted on a couple of other forums and they keep me busy at times.

Ted

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old December 13, 2009   #48
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Ugh...last night i tested it and it worked. Now today I tried to enter in a new seed, and after i entered it all in I clicked "save" and recieved the following message...

run time error 3426 This action was canceled by an associated object

Then the whole program closed down.

Try again, 4 times, same results??
yotetrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2009   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2009   #50
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Okay, I finally reproduced the error. Not sure yet why it gives that error, but here's a way to get around and past it.

Don't delete all the test records that come with the software. Write over top of them. While one of them is on the screen, enter new data. At least change the variety name. The other blocks can be empty. To save, simply go to the next or previous record or select "EXIT" to leave that section of the program. The program automatically saves what is on the screen when the screen is changed.

If you have already deleted all the records, reinstall the software and start anew.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old December 14, 2009   #51
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Ok, as I had already deleted them all, I started over. I was able to type over one variety with one of mine, and that worked, but when I went to type over the second variety, I recieved the same message again. So I left it alone, then clicked add variety, and was able to add my second one that way. Then, I tried my third variety, and accidentally typed in too much text in and seed number box (was typing in that box without realizing it) and got a message about too much text, but it saved it all but that box...so I went back in to fix that box, and when I clicked next variety, it gave the same runtime error and shut down. So I went back in to fix that box again, then instead of next record, I clicked exit, and seemed to work.....
Old December 14, 2009   #52
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yote, let me get this straight. You typed over the first record and it took that okay. Then you typed in a second record. Did you click on the "Next Recd" box before entering the second record???

And, Please, tell me which of the programs you are using. I think it's SeedsNTrades, but I need you to tell me that it is the one we are working with.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old December 14, 2009   #53
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

I typed over the first record, and it took it ok, I clicked next recd, and it saved the new first record. So, yes, I clicked next rec'd before entering the second record. And it worked that time. But then when I typed over the second record with my second new one, clicked next recd again, and got the same 2436 error. However, I did a few more and it seems as if I click exit instead of next recd, it works fine? Strange...
Old December 14, 2009   #54
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Ooops, fogot this part....not SeedsnTrades..... Seedbox.
Old December 14, 2009   #55
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

file is loaded...let's try one at a time..on my laptop, for example, I have Seed Inventory and as an icon I have the tree, it opens a pretty blue box which I have entered data. How do I save this file...I don't see and letters or code...using properties on the icon just shows it at as .exe file....sorry to be a bother, I just want to use one on both computers.

Earl
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2009   #56
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Earl, let's take one thing at a time. The data you enter and save is stored in a file with an extension of ".MDB". You can port this file from one computer to another and see the same data as long as you have the ".EXE" program installed on each computer.

Let's say you have a laptop and a desktop PC. You initially install the software on the laptop and add in a bunch of records. Now you want to move to the PC. You would make a copy of the ".MDB" file and transport it to the PC and copy it into the PC --- OVERWRITING THE ".MDB" FILE OF THE SAME NAME THAT IS ALREADY THERE. Now, both computers have the same data because they have the same database file with the same records in it.

Now, while you are on the PC, you make changes to some records. When you want to return to using the laptop, you must make a copy of the ".MDB" file and .......... Same as before. You can have numerous installations of the software, but you must transport the data file when you move from one computer to the another.

The only difference between your program installation and mine is the data contained in the ".MDB" file. I could send you my data file and it will work on your computer with your installation. The difference would be that you would see MY data - not yours.

Does this help??? Hopefully?????

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; December 14, 2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old December 15, 2009   #57
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

You would make a copy of the ".MDB" file and transport it to the PC and copy it into the PC --- OVERWRITING THE ".MDB" FILE OF THE SAME NAME THAT IS ALREADY THERE.

This is what I don't know how to do. ^

Earl
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2009   #58
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
You would make a copy of the ".MDB" file and transport it to the PC and copy it into the PC --- OVERWRITING THE ".MDB" FILE OF THE SAME NAME THAT IS ALREADY THERE.

This is what I don't know how to do. ^

Earl

Both computers (the laptop and the PC) SHOULD have identical REMOVABLE MEDIA disk drives. Examples: Both must have a 3 1/2" floppy drive; or both must have CD-RW drives). The key here is that one computer must be able to write a file on some kind of disk and the other computer must be able to load up that disk and read the file.

Assuming this condition is true (matching drives on each computer), you can use Windows Explorer to do a right click on the file and then select "COPY". Now move the cursor and highlite the destination (i.e. your D: or E: drive which is usually your CD drive, or your A: drive which is usually your 3 1/2" floppy drive). Then right click again and select "PASTE". The job is done when the copy has completed. This gets you a copy of the file on "transportable media".

Now, at the destination computer, again with Windows Explorer, highlite the file and right click to select "copy". Then highlite the destination directory (Seedbox, Pepperbox, etc.), right click, and select "PASTE". You'll get a messagebox asking whether or not you want to "Replace the existing file". Select "Yes" to replace the file.

Done. Now you can use the existing, installed program on the second computer to update, edit, and change the data. At the end of the day, simply copy the updated file onto the disk or CD (overwriting the one that's already there) and take it to the first computer and copy it in using the same actions.

Note that the only thing moved is the data file. The key is that both computers have identical removable disk drives. And, it actually could be any number of computers as long as the removable disk drives are identical.

Now, what to do if the drives are not identical or compatible. If you have Email on both computers, simply send yourself an Email with the ".MDB" attached. Open the Email and download the file into the correct directory. If you miss the correct directory with the download, use Windows Explorer to move the file to the correct directory and "OVERWRITE" the old file.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old December 15, 2009   #59
yotetrapper
Tomatovillian™

Ted, I hate to interupt here, but I think I know what Earl is saying here.... he said "I see 56 files like in SeedsNTrades but nothing ending in mdb"....

I think his issue is that he can not FIND the file TO copy it. So I went into the files of seedbox to see if I could find the .mdb file, and I couldnt find it either.... I saw one that I think was it but it wasnt showing up as an .mdb exactly, it said seedbox.md-
Old December 15, 2009   #60
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Butting in also .....

I'm guessing the 56 files is what you see after unzipping the downloaded file, BEFORE you run the Setup icon to install the program itself. After you have the program up and running, you actually don't need these files anymore and can put them into the recycle bin if you want. These files will have probably showed up wherever your default download location is, most likely either your desktop or My Documents/Downloads/

After you actually install by clicking on the unzipped Setup icon, the program documents you need will all be in C:\SeedsNTrades (and there will only be about 10 files.) This is where you will find the MDB files. If you can't see the .mdb extension on the MySeeds file, pass (don't click) your cursor over each file without an extension and you should see this info come up in a little fadeaway box.

Hope that helps.

(If you're using PepperBox or SeedBox, of course look for those directories in the C:\ drive)

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote