Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2015   #1
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Default Please post 2015 growing impressions for Carbon Copy

I have received a few PMs on Carbon Copy results from this year. My own plants have started to produce like crazy after the heat finally got here. I had over 24inches of rain in May and June and it really slowed them down. Flavor now is great but still must be picked prior to a rain to prevent splitting. I will be putting up another free seed offer for f7s later. Seeds are fermenting now and there will be plenty. I think the segregating is about over and so far all are producing the medium size cherry that I am striving to stabilize . Please report you results here, good or bad for my own benefit.

thanks
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I started seeds in January for the spring season. I grew it in a 10 gallon root pouch. It grew exactly like your description - tons of tomatoes that tasted great. Mine had zero cracking - we did have an exception hot and dry April/May so like all my other tomatoes, it stopped producing early.

I had zero fungal diseases on any of my plants in 2015.

I would definitely grow it again.

Thanks again for the seeds.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #3
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I've not commented on it because I really believe in Carbon Copy, based on what you and others have seen in the past, but it hasn't done well here this year. Not the fault of the plant, I think, but weather. It looked as if this would be a great tomato year, early, as the garden was out from under snow, and workable, much earlier than usual -- but after a promising early spring we had an extended period of cold, wet weather that lasted until the latter part of June. The tomato plants had been doing well, many were out on the porch hardening off when the weather change came, and most of them didn't like it at all.

Carbon Copy was among the tomatoes that really hated the weather change and even bringing those back inside didn't cheer them up. I thought all the Carbon Copy plants were going to die, but one hung in there, finally got planted, and is beginning to try, now. It probably won't have time to ripen fruit unless I can protect it -- which I intend to do if I can, as it's certainly been selected for resilience.

I was glad to see your remark about an upcoming offer for F7 Carbon Copy seeds, though, as I'm doubtful about getting seeds from that one plant, and I do think Carbon Copy should grow here in a year without the extended cold, wet weather.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have one CC plant started in our Fall garden. It has been in-garden for 3 weeks and has a bloom on it. So far it is doing well in the 100+F heat/shade/mulch. I don't know what F it is? I got the seeds in the MMMM. I will be one interested in your F7s.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #5
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

I set out 2 plants in the ground in late April. Both grew and began to produce as expected out of a cherry. The June-July rains finally gave way in late July. We've had 1 1/2 inches of rain in August. I do not water at all. I'm picking a quart or more every other day off of these 2 plants. The fruit ripens very fast on the vine and is prone to cracking regardless of moisture. Out of the 7 varieties of cherries I'm growing, Carbon Copy ranks best in taste and as good as any in production. I give away a couple gallons of mixed cherries a week. Everyone asks, what is that small dark tomato. Taste is beyond good, it's great. Thanks Ron, for the seed.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #6
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing 5 Carbon Copy plants in 15gal containers this year. Hands down, the best tasting cherry this year. Many don't make it into the house, as my husband and I eat as many as possible while picking! They do tend to split when very ripe and we make sure to pick all that are blushing before we water. Next year I'm planning on doubling the number of plants. This is an excellent cherry!
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #7
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Comments have been about what I expected, I just expected many more because of the hundreds of seed packets I sent out. Still lots of time. Please report good or bad your impressions.

I am sending out 5000 seeds to two different seed suppliers for evaluation and possibly being available in a couple of years. I will still put up the free seed offer here after the seeds ferment and dry. Probably be late Sept or Oct.

thanks for your time
ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try it here in the South.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #9
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I had horrible germination but finally got one plant in the ground on June 4. So, it's been 69 days and I haven't seen a ripe fruit yet... still waiting! The plant is healthy, not as tall as I thought it would be... probably around 5' or so and loaded with greenies. I've also got black cherry this year too (planted the same day and nothing ripe yet either) and it is taller, but cc has more fruit. I'll post later with my impressions of the taste!

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #10
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Thanks again for the seeds! They are probably the best cherries for me this year. Very disease resistant, very prolific, no issues what so ever with cracking - really perfect tomatoes. One thing to note, it has green shoulders that don't seem to ever really want to change color - is that correct?
Old August 14, 2015   #11
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I had great germination. The plants produced well enough. The taste here was good, not outstanding but a solid good. Thank you dipchip!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2015   #12
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ron
Planted seeds April 1 80% germination. Set plants out May 24. Northeast is a little late this year. Started getting ripe tomatoes August 1 medium sized dark cherries. Excellent big tomato flavor. Good balance is sweet and acidic. Big seed cavities definately will be saving and adding to the perpetual list of tomatoes to grow. Most flavored cherry I have ever grown. Beats out chocolate cherry easily. IMHO

Thank you
Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2015   #13
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I liked it better than Chocolate Cherry too.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #14
Jaymato
Tomatovillian™

Carbon Copy was my favorite last year! Wish I had more seed.
Jaymato is offline   Reply With Quote