Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 9, 2014   #1
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Default Killin em with kindness

It is that time of year again when tomato seed go into pots and containers and growers begin the process of killing their seedlings. Here are a few of the most popular ways to kill your seedlings.

10. Put the tray of seedlings in your garage where a mouse promptly eats them.

9. Put your tray of seedlings on a shelf where your cat decides to investigate, in the process destroying plants and detaching them from labels.

8. Pull your tray of seedlings off the shelf to admire them and stumble dumping the tray upside down demolishing seedlings enmasse.

7. Set them out in the nice warm sunshine where the sun blisters the leaves to a funny white color. Should have hardened them off first.

6. Put them in the cool cellar with a grow light at temps of 45 degrees. tomatoes die slowly at 45 degrees and below, it is a particularly evil way to kill your seedlings.

5. Set your fully hardened off seedlings outside for some sunshine where a thunderstorm hammers them, floods them, washes them, launders them, then delivers them to you either muddy or crispy, take your choice.

4. Set your seedlings in the sunny room with your other plants where the whitefly population promptly decides tomato seedlings are their new favorite dish. Since you killed all the spiders who would have eaten the flies, and the flies ate your seedlings, maybe this is rough justice. Your seedlings are still dead even if you can sing that song about the old woman who swallowed the fly.

3. Plant your seed in that nice new soil mix with all the pine bark where they promptly germinate..... then sit there.... and sit there... and eventually die because you didn't think they would need any fertilizer. Never mind that pine bark absorbs every atom of nitrogen in sight which of course starves your seedlings.

2. Over fertilize them with that nice new blue stuff you bought on sale at the local box store. Do you know what a tomato seedling looks like when it has been over fertilized? You gave it an acid bath in your consummate kindness. 1/4 of a teaspoon of miracle grow 15-30-15 is enough to grow 48 seedlings to transplant size. Even then, be careful how much you give them at one feeding, it is easy to overdo the fertilizer.

1. Over watering is the number one way to kill your tomato seedlings. Of all the seedling killers, the kill em with kindness over waterers are the most effective serial killers in the world. Countless millions die each year at their hands. The biggest hint I can give to avoid joining the over waterer ranks is to remember to let your seedlings dry out just to the point they start to wilt before watering them. Seedlings grown with reduced water produce a larger and healthier root system that is key to producing the maximum possible crop of fruit. When they have dried out properly, give them a generous watering and then wait for the next time they dry out before watering again. This prevents phytothora while growing the healthiest plants.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #2
dpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Fusion_power,
While I was reading this, I started to chuckle a little. Reminds me of days gone by when I probably have done everyone of the don'ts. A good list for beginning gardeners should to read and follow.
dpurdy
dpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Bravo! Every beginning gardener should read this.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Excellent
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #5
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

You have such a way with words.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #6
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Well other than putting them in a celler because I do not have one. This year the way I have killed is not planting up soon enough and not watering enough
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #7
Tom A To
Tomatovillian™

I would caution newcomers that letting the soil dry should not carry over to when the plant is installed in its permanent home and begins to blossom. One cause of blossom end rot. Evenly moist at all times in that situation.

Audios, Tomatoville. Posted my final post and time to move on.
Tom A To is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #8
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Good reading
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #9
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget to cover them, put the heat mat directly on the carpet so no air gets underneath and you bake them so you have no chance of seeing anything germinate!! That's my favorite...sadly, I did this!!

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #10
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Then there is using a car as shelter over night for some of your plants and forgetting some in the back window until 11am, which was facing east. Seventeen out of twenty made it after a week in TICU - Tomato ICU.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Great post. Should be a sticky. Hands-off is my motto once you have the soil right, and the soil is not bone dry.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Question Dar, I have understood that it is not the bark that robs N but the chips made from the interior heart wood. Not so?
Old March 10, 2014   #13
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

All cellulose absorbs nitrogen as it decays. Bark is a form of cellulose. It does not absorb nitrate as fast as inner fiber from the tree trunk, but it does tie up significant amounts of nitrogen as it decays slowly over time.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2014   #14
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks!
Old March 10, 2014   #15
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

That reminds me, I need to check my planting calendar. I think I'm scheduled to dump a tray of seedlings and their labels this week or next.
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote