Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 22, 2006   #1
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Default Compost

I propose this for a new category with M, because so many people refer to it, and it is such an integral part of gardening.

I've used compost, but none that I've made. I see these huge piles of it on the net, but where does all that bulk come from? Sure, I think it would be easy to toss out the left-over veggies from dinner into it, but where does the bulk of it come from?

I get cotton gin trash free from the gin, and my neighbors bag up hundreds of trash bags of leaves a year it seems. My fave would be the duff from the woods, and that stuff is light and surely filled with decaying leaves. But that would take an army to do.

Oh, well, it's time to sign off for a bit. I just heard the workman's truck drive up. I have a new neighbor, a Vietnamese lady, and she is adding a room to her house. Her name is Tu, and I like to watch what she does, day or night. Our local handyman has these lights he uses at night to do the work. He works all day and night and loves it. His wife works at an insurance agency by day, and mows grass in her off time. She rides all over town on that John Deere mower. She'll drive it to the cafe for lunch. I've seen it. Our mayor is a painter and grass mower, too. The previous mayor was the newspaper boy.

As I said in an earlier post, I live in Mayberry. PV and MissMudcat, you know what I mean. And all I say is true. When I tell you it is. And this is true. I think they are fixing to cut an air conditioner hole, so I better get on the porch and watch. Would hate to miss that.

Don

Now what about building a compost pile?