Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2014   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Ozark Sunrise

Anyone have more info on this line?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ozark_Sunrise

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anyone have more info on this line?

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Ozark_Sunrise
https://www.google.com/#q=ozark+sunrise+tomato

A variety listed by Steve at Double Helix Farms, link to his place in the seeds and plants Forum.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2014   #3
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I did Google it before posting and purchased the seeds from Double Helix. I'm looking for more info than presented there.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old May 10, 2014   #4
travis
Tomatovillian™

Appears to be one of those hybrid is as hybrid does varieties.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014   #5
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post

Old May 10, 2014   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I did Google it before posting and purchased the seeds from Double Helix. I'm looking for more info than presented there.
I understand. You are looking for somone who has grown it and I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in a grow list, etc.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2014   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I just looked at both Ozark Sunrise and Ozark Sunset at Double Helix and I'm pretty sure you aren't referring to the fact that both are not stable, as Steve indicated.

So maybe some errant seeds floating around?

You started it Travis, so you have to finish it.

Right?

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2014   #8
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Interesting description, that I'm sure is proprietary:

"One of the most striking tomatoes you will grow and has a pedigree that blazed some new territory instead of following everyone's footsteps."

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I understand. You are looking for somone who has grown it and I don't think I've seen anyone mention it in a grow list, etc.

Carolyn

Old May 10, 2014   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Below from my seed offer. And with the Fall reports the few who wanted to grow out those crosses got some very interesting looking ones and were going to continue with selections.

Cut and pasted from my seed offer:

(The following two are from Steve, (Double Helix)

Let’s call this first one Jetstar X Sunshine Blue when requesting seeds and here’s Steves comments about this one:

I am sending two packages of F2 seed. According to my notes both of these should be in the 60 to 65 days to maturity. That was in the F1 so the F2 could be different, but at least it gives a better probability for an earlier type tomato.
DHF-1200-04 is Jetstar x Sunshine Blue/plant #4
There should be quite a bit of diversity in the segregation of these. I think it will be fun for the people to grow it out because it is crossing an F1 Hybrid with a anthocyanin fruited F2 or F3 hybrid. My reasoning behind the cross was to bring in the genetics of low acid from Jetstar into a "blue" line. Most of the "blue" tomatoes I have grown had a sharp bite to them that I did not care for. Since we are dealing with a broad range of traits from the two parents, we could see all kinds of colors and sizes and hopefully a low acid blue tomato.

Let’s call this one F2 anth X Serdtse Buivola ( Heart of the Buffalo) for requesting seeds

DHF-1200-33 is (F2 Anthocyanin seedling) x Serdste Buivola
The goal here is to get a "blue" anthocyanin heart shaped tomato. The pollen parent on this cross had almost totally black stems and leaves. While the fruit size and flavor was not stellar, it did show some promise. This one should also prove a lot of fun in the quest for a anthocyanin rich heart. )

Steve also sent me a package fruits, I think last year, maybe the year before, I can't remember, and all were small ones of different sizes and colors including some blue striped ones, I think there were 14 different ones. He asked me to taste them and get back to him, and I did.

Most I liked very much as to taste, but a few were not to my liking at all, as he also mentioned above.

I haven't interacted with him for quite a while now, but last I knew he was still dealing with a knee problem, and more serious, two different diseases he acquired by tick bites and the antibiotics were just not working.

Carolyn
Old May 10, 2014   #10
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Do all the anthocyanin lines so many people are releasing all trace back to the work at OSU? Or have there been other anthocyanin lines released?

Old May 10, 2014   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do all the anthocyanin lines so many people are releasing all trace back to the work at OSU? Or have there been other anthocyanin lines released?
In the US probably, but the antho one in England is a GMO with a snapdragon gene spliced in and there's another line in Italy and I don't know anything about that one.

Two varieties known to have antho have been known for a long time, and that's Purple Smudge and Purple Smudge Orange Flesh, but I don't think anyone has worked with them.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Purple_Smudge

Parentage of OSU P20, conventionally bred

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/p20.htm

Carolyn
Old July 19, 2014   #12
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Have been eating this one lately. Wow, totally unexpected taste in a tomato! Almost a cinnamon spicy flavor. Very unusual and tasty!

Old March 28, 2015   #13
loeb
Tomatovillian™

In which one do you mean that spicy flavour? I'm looking for unusual flavours in tomatoes..
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #14
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

J and L Gardens has it on their site if anyone is interested
http://jandlgardens.com/catalog/inde...roducts_id=361
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2015   #15
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Here's a source for Ozark Sunrise

http://edible-antiques.myshopify.com...sunrise-tomato
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote