Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 1, 2015   #1
ginawelch
Tomatovillian™

Default grow anywhere?

Can all the tomato plants I see in books and catalogs be grown anywhere? example: I live in Ohio (zone 5) and want to order some "Mexico Midget" tomato seeds. I hate to sound ignorant, but I want to learn! thanks
ginawelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginawelch View Post
Can all the tomato plants I see in books and catalogs be grown anywhere? example: I live in Ohio (zone 5) and want to order some "Mexico Midget" tomato seeds. I hate to sound ignorant, but I want to learn! thanks
Tomatoes (most if not all) can be grown in your location, and anywhere that any tomato can be grown. Though there are varieties that can tolerate HOT or COOL weather better but to my knowledge there are no tomatoes for a specific climate. The only limitation is grow season length. So if you have a short grow season, better avoid the "Long Season" varieties which would need like 120 days from plant out to the first ripe tomato.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I also garden in a zone 5 area as you do in Ohio and I can grow almost every variety, depending on the weather in any one season.

A rough idea for days from transplanting out to first ripe fruit might look like this.

55 to about 65 to 70 days, early varieties
70 to about 80 days, midseason varieties
Over 80 days, late season varieties.

When you look at seed catalogs you might see what's called DTM ( days to maturity) which is a very rough guideline since it's not known where or when that data came from. When I see a variety listed at a DTM of 76 days,honest, I have to laugh.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn
Old April 1, 2015   #4
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default grow anywhere?

Tatiana's Tomatobase is a good reference as it tells whether a variety is Early, Mid or Late - http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/C...o_Variety_List

You should be able to grow any, but be prepared for fewer ripe fruit from the later varieties unless you have an unusually warm fall and late first frost.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote